Front end re-wire project question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 03, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Question

I have a 68 convertible that I was wanting to replace the engine harness and forward lamp harness on this weekend. I have all the parts gathered including new harnesses from M&H. In doing some research through old posts however I have found that it may not be wise to put the gauge harnesses on a non-gauge car.

Per CarlC
"If you are considering going for factory gauges then go for the correct harness. However, you will lose many features and may cause major damage if you try to run a gauge-type light harness with only warning lights."

I am not sure if my car originally had gauges or not. Is there some way I can tell? If I pull the original engine harness and there is no blue wire for the oil pressure lamp would that tell me anything for sure?

Thanks gang!

Donald
68 Camaro convertible (resto on hold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 03, 04:56 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Hopefully CarlC will chime in, but in the meantime....

Off the top of my head a gauge car would have wiring for the ammeter, which consists of a 12 awg black/white and 12 awg black wire. One wire would go to the horn relay and the other would go to the junction block behind the battery....They would be pretty easy to spot.

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 03, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Good thought! I could also look for the presence of the tach wire in the engine harness.

After reading my own post I should add that I'm not trying to determine if the car was ORIGINALLY a gauge car, but only if it is wired properly for one now.

From other items on the car I would expect the gauge wiring to be hacked if it was not factory, but someone may have actually done something right. Yeah RIGHT!!! Now that is funny!

Donald

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 03, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

I converted my 69 to have the console gauges and tach. The conversion harness had instructions of how to modify the console, under dash and engine compartment wiring to accomodate the gauges/tach.

I can share the instructions with you so you can see how to modify a non guage harness to be a gauge harness.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 03, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Angry

Things are looking good. The oil pressure wire does not exist in the engine harness and the tach wire does.

As for the front lamp harness, the two wires you describe do exist. Funny thing though is that they are not wrapped with the other wires. Would they be wrapped with the main forward lamp harness from the factory?

The new CS130 sure looks good!

Donald
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Angry

Project completed!

I was a little nervous hooking the battery back up and turning the key on for the first time, but none of the magic smoke got out! [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img]

Donald
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 04:31 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Cool!!

"Magic smoke", LOL that's funny!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 05:47 PM
Apprentice

I think you should have kept all of the bailing wire an chewing gum wrappers from your old wiring as souveniers!

Blue Camaro Out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode