67 rs headlights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 04, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
randy

Trying to complete a project someone else started. Have finally been able to get headlight doors to open but they still won't close. I have checked all the past posts and looked at the wiring diagrams. The diagrams don't show wire position to plugs on the relays.
Does anyone have a diagram showing the wire colors to plugs and to the relays?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 04, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Hi,
Stay with me here!

The non-closing doors is often caused by a dirty/damaged headlight switch, failed relays or burned diode. However, first make sure the ignition switch is on. By design, the doors will open regardless of the ignition switch position but will only close with the ignition switch on. If the headlight switch is OK follow this trouble shooting procedure taken from the Camaro RS Wiring Diagram Manual: First make sure your ignition switch is on. If there is no voltage at green wire terminal of relay #1 (use test light to ground), check voltage at orange wire terminal of relay #1, if voltage is present, replace relay #1, if voltage is not present, check for open circuit breaker or wiring. If there is no voltage at the brown wire terminal of relay #2, then relay #2 and relay #3 (they are wired in parallel) are not actuated. Check for 12 volts across the two-terminal connectors of both relays (use one test lead at each terminal of connector), if voltage is present, replace relay #2, if no voltage, check wiring back to the ignition switch making sure the diode is not open or in backwards. If voltage is pulsating, due to action of circuit breaker, then relay #2 has pulled in but relay #3 has not. Check for 12 volts across the two-terminal connector of relay #3 (one test light lead at each terminal of connector). If voltage is present, replace relay #3, if no voltage, check wiring.

The location and color of the wire harness to the limit switches are as follows:

Limit switch located on driver’s side of the radiator support:
Plug with single red wire attaches to the top terminal of the switch.
Plug with two blue wires attaches to bottom terminal of the switch.

Limit switch located on driver’s side headlight capsule:
Plug with single white wire attaches to the top terminal of the switch.
Plug with two brown wires attaches to bottom terminal of the switch.

Limit switch located on the passenger’s side of the radiator support:
Plug with single bright green wire attaches to the top terminal of the switch.
Plug with single blue wire attaches to bottom terminal of the switch.

Limit switch located on passenger’s side headlight capsule:
Plug with single green wire attaches to the top terminal of the switch.
Plug with single brown wires attaches to bottom terminal of the switch.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions, or check http://www.retro-electro.net/FAQ.

67 RS Convertible, 355ci, 650cfm, 5-speed, 12-bolt, 3.90 gears. 12.7 @ 110 mph
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 04, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
randy

Thanks for the information. I have already had to replace the headlight switch, used a new relay to in all 3 positions and used a ohm meter to check the limit switches.
When I first started one door would open and the other would close. I went to one of the relay plugs that appeared to have been worked on and changed the positions of the plug and the doors now work together. This is why I would like to see a diagram of the wires into relays and then pluged into the relays.
How does the diode work in the system? The diode is about the only thing I have not tried yet.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 04, 03:22 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Go to my website, www.retro-electro.net , and check out the FAQ section, there you will find a link to the wiring diagram and info on the diode.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 04, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
randy

Certinally gives me a lot to recheck in my wiring. I had a wire with no end and thought it would belong in the switch with only 2 wires. Guess I need to start over this weekend!

I am not very skilled at reading wiring diagrams. Do green/brown wires @ relay 2 set beside each other or staggered in the plug?

Does anyone have a dummies diagram (picture)?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 04, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I don't have a "dummy" diagram. However, the green and brown wires are staggered with the brown wire connected to the side by side terminal slot in the plug.
good luck,
Mark.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 04, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
randy

Thanks! I will start over this weekend. [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode