Need help with one more thing...what wire to HEI? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 04, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Thanks to you guys the Camaro is damn near ready to fire up. The motor cranks over and is getting gas but seems to have no spark. The distributor is a HEI unit. I ran a wire from the fuse block off the "heater" terminal. I tested it and it only had power when key was turned in the forward position. But when I crank the motor over..nothing! I pulled #1 plug wire off and layed the boot next to the plug and cranked it over...no spark. The distributor is almost brand new and worked perfect before. Can you guys tell me what color wire needs to go to the "bat" on the HEI?? Any other way to test for spark? This baby wants to start up!

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315'S/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 04, 09:36 PM
Senior Tech
Charles

is that the rotor laying over there on the bench?? i know this has happened to somebody, somewhere....uh besides me [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 04, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Thumbs up

If you look into the fuse block, you'll find an IGN post. Hook the HEI power source to this post. Use a min of #12 AWG wire to hook up. Color is not specific, but red would look nice and conforms to other HEI schematics.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 04, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Thanks Everett, I will check on the ign. post. The thing I dont understand is why the other wire did not work?? It had power when the key was turned in the foward postion.

69 Camaro
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 04, 05:53 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

The Fan power source does not get power when the car is cranking, you need to be on a circuit that has power in both the Start and run position. Make sure you have the yellow wire run from the starter "R" terminal to the HEI and then you can use the fan circuit, or any circuit that is hot when the key is in run only. The yellow wire will supply 12V from the starter during cranking and then you other circuit will provide power whn the key is released. If you have a mini starter with only two terminals DO NOT jump from the purple wire at the starter to the HEI, or the starter will never disengage because the HEI circuit will backfeed the starter solenoid.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 04, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Ohh...ok . I dont have any yellow wire to the starter and I do have a mini starter with the two terminals. So tell me if I am on track here...I need to first find the "yellow" wire in the wiring harness and run it to the small connector on the mini starter. This is the same pole that the purple wire is connected too. Once the yellow wire goes from the harness to the little pole it needs to then go to "bat" on the HEI? Sound right?

69 Camaro
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 04, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Nope, the yellow wire goes bye bye if you have the mini starter..should be purple wire to the starter "s" terminal and big red wir to "bat" terminal.

The yellow wire is to run 12v to the hei when cranking the motor when using a standard starter.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 04, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Ok thanks....no yellow wire. Just need the right 12v wire that gets power when key is to run and start but no power when key is off.

69 Camaro
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 04, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Everett, Thanks man! I found that post and it worked! Had power in both the run/start. [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img]

69 Camaro
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 04, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Angry

We are glad to help, this is why we are here. You may want to add a 15 amp inline fuse to this supply line just in case. This IGN post on the fuse box is not fused.

[ 06-15-2004, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Everett#2390 ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode