Backup lights wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 05, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

Question

Does anyone have any idea where the two wires from the backup light switch go? I've read that they attach somewhere on the steering column, but where exactly on the steering column? Any idea which wires or which colors? I'm wiring up a new Hurst Comp-Plus backup switch. Thanks.

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 05, 03:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

"guessing" you are asking about a '68 with a column shift? Please include this type of info, will help you to get the right answer the first time...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 05, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

Sorry, forgot to mention that. Since it is a Hurst Comp-plus, it is a four speed tranny (on the floor) on a 68. Thanks.

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 05, 04:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

yes, but what it start out with?

If it was a console car, there's 4 wires going to the switch on the original auto gearshift. If it was a column shift, these wires and switch are on the column, under the dash.

The 2 big purple wires are your neutral safety, they need to be connected together. The "other" 2 smaller wires are the backup lights.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 05, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

No idea. I think it was a V6 automatic originally, other than that I don't have a clue. When I bought the car, the backup lights weren't hooked up (and have never worked for me). So, I'm assuming from your answer that it's the underdash wires. Another dumb question: what part of the column has these four wires? The only thing I could find on my column were eight different colored wires going into a c-shaped connector about half way up the column, then the eight wires are all connected together the rest of the way up the column toward the steering wheel. Are some of these the horn wires also? Those have never worked either. Thanks for all of the help.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 05, 07:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

sounds like you got some work to do, and maybe some studying.

This is a 1968 Camaro, right?

First gens never had a V6, they had an inline, not that it matters, still just six, ya know?

Does the car (or did it ever) have a console?
If it was a column, the stub will still be on the side of the column, even if the shifter was removed.

Those 8 wires going into the column are for the turn signals and horn.

Have you thoght about popping $25 for an assembly manual? It would help you a lot as far as knowing what to look for and where things were supposed to go.

Please give me some details on what you know about the car, so I have some hard info to help you with. and lets tackle these problems one at a time, or at least one per post.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 05, 12:28 AM

You have a 12+ key on power supply from the fuse panel that routes to the switch. The othe wire is FROM the switch back to the lights. Your ground is made in the rear harness area.

If a column shift, the switch is tied into the neutral saftey switch on the column. If a console shift it is tied into the automatic console lever with the neutral saftey switch.

If a stick...I think it was tied to the actual transmission with a switch off the reverse lever mechanism.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 05, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

The car currently has a console, but I don't know if it is original. It looks like the previous owner put MOST of the console together (a couple of bolts missing), so I would question how much detail this guy put into a rebuild.

I wasn't aware I was asking such a complex question (or that there were so many different combinations). I had researched the forum trying to find the answer and the one answer I kept finding was that it was on the steering column (but where on the steering column I didn't know). I've actually got an assembly manual for a 67 in electronic format, but sounds like I should buy the paper copy of the 68. Looking at the 67, it's got a wiring diagram for the backup lights, but I couldn't see which part of the steering column it was on (top, middle, bottom, etc.), since it is just a wiring diagram.

I'm putting in the Hurst (non-original) backup switch that attaches to the back of the shifter and is pushed on when you put the car into reverse. It has two connections (I assume to complete the circuit to turn on the backup lights). I guess I'll just connect two wires and run them extra long up to the dash area (while I'm doing undercar work) and wait until I get an assembly manual to connect them. I've got the steering column dropped and the speedo assembly pulled out so it would be easier now, but I can wait.

Thanks for the help.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 05, 07:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

67 & 68 have a switch on the column if it's a column shift car (not sure where, mine's a console) On a consolde car, the switch is attached to the floor shift, and is part of the console harness.

The schematics in the assembly maunal don't show the floor shift console wiring at all.

Your 67 manual should be really close to a 68.

The wires you're looking for a 20 guage pink which supplies the power, and 20 guage light green, which goes from the switch back to the bulb sockets. Colors are the same whether it's a console car or not, only the location of the wire changes.

'69's are completely different, because of the ignition moving to the column, and the column and gearshift anti-theft lock. All the '69 nuetral safty and backup switches are on the column, regardless of auto or manual, console or not.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 05, 07:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

you found the steering column answer the most because 69's outnumber 67-68's here by about 3:1.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode