ballast resistor or resistor wire - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 02, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

hey guys i put an msd blaster 2 coil on my 68 and was going to remove my old ballast resistor and replace it with the one that came with the coil.but i could not find one is the wire going to the coil + side is it a resistor wire it has some kind of fabric insulation around it.so i put the new on anyway .is this going to cause a problem.thanks jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 02, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech

If I am not mistaken the wire with the fabric stuff around it is a resistance wire used instead of a ballast resistor...most electronic (breakerless) systems require a full 12 volts to the coil....check out the voltage to the coil from the resistance wire....follow the manfacturers recommendantions for their system....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 02, 11:13 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

if all you replaced was the coil, all else is factory ignition, and the factory resistor wire (the braided covered one you speak of) is still intact, then you dont need the ballast resistor supplied w/ the coil. just reconnect as the old coil was hooked up.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 02, 11:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

A question for you guys who have upgraded the ignition and replaced the resistor wire. Where does the resistor wire start from?

------------------
68 convertible
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 02, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

it starts at the plug that connects the front harness to the firewall, down under the master cylinder. when i changed mine to an msd dist. and 6al i unwrapped the harness to the plug, removed the resistor wire and its individual pin connector, and i was able to open up the pin, remove old wire, and re-install a new wire in pin, attach it back to main plug, and re-wrap the new wire w/ the old harness tape. it looks totally stock and very clean. hope that helps
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 02, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech

I did the same thing when I removed mine..opened up the harness..went all the way back to the pin....found new connecctors someplace (can't remember)...ran a whole new wire....or if you wanted you could just cut the resistor wire back in the harness and run a new 12 volt line from somewhere, up to you...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 02, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech

This is little bit of subject but perfect time to ask. Is this wire that was originaly for coil a 12 volt fused ignition source? I need a ignition controlled, fused 12V source for the fuel inj. setup. I like to get your opinions on this.
Thanks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 02, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Rob

SOME 69 camaros come with an anti-dieseling solenoid.this uses a 12VOLT keyed power source.i dont know if its fused.but this wire is joined at the bulk head connector with the resistance wire.i pulled both wires out,and cut the resistance wire off,reconnected the solinoid wire,and used it to power my HEI distributor.its working great now.and is finished.camaro tech,and factory fit wires helped me with this,hope it helps you.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 02, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech

Thanks late68. Thats what I tought about that wire so I can use that wire for inj. setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode