Wiper motor issues - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 05, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

I'm having the strangest issued with my wiper motor. I just installed a painless wiring kit. My washer motoer grinds and sparks when I turn it on. I made the mistake if touching it and got shocked. Do I have a wiring problem or is the motor shot? I still have the 3 rubber grommets on it.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 05, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
If I remember, there should be a grounding strap from the wiper case to ground. The rubber bushings are to isolate vibrations. A strap is needed to ground the case to ground.

Others here should correct me if I'm wrong.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 05, 02:40 AM
Guess

I think it's the upper left grommet that is the brass strap that grounds it to the firewall.
But you shouldn't get shocked if it's not there!
You can take it apart very easily and see what's wrong. Sounds like a wire or wires became bare and are touching the case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 05, 03:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

While I don't yet have any insight on this particular problem, more details would be nice, what do the wiper themselves do and such... but...

When you troubleshoot this, remember the wipers on our cars are wired a little weird. 12 volts is supplied when ever the key is out of the "OFF" position, and the high / low / wash functions are triggered by the switch gounding one of the other wires.

I'd for sure look at / actually check that ground. It's where Joe said, and is a small brass strap that is riveted to the motor baseplate and extends over the grommet, under the screw. My replacment came in with that area painted, and wouldn't work right untill I scraped the paint off. If the firewall has a lot of paint on it under that screw/grommet, that can cause trouble too.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 05, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

There does not appear to be a ground strap on my wiper motor or grommets. That may be my problem. when I turn my wipers on it sounds like gears grinding and there is sparking coming from the side of the wiper motor facing the fire wall. At first I thought the sparking was from gears grinding until i got shocked.

Ken
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 05, 09:13 AM
Guess

Sounds like a bad motor or wires internally.

Here's a few shots of the motor with cover removed:

Internal wiring:

Again:

You can see that there are three wires (black, white, red) coming from the base plate, through to the electrical motor itself. One or more of them could be frayed and touching a part of the case inside. You can see the motor winding (stator?) removed from the case, and if you look close, you can see the two hard brushes that contact its shaft when it's inserted into the case. There are a series of wires connecting all of this together.

Take the cover off carefully (it won't release from the base because of the three wires) by removing the two 5" long screws holding it on. The flat cover on the end of the case will come right off. Be careful of shims. Then the motor winding section will lift out. Again, watch for small shims.... there's a couple on both ends of the shaft. Take a close look at everything. You might be able to repair it. I know the junkyards are full of suitable replacements. People don't think to take this kind of thing out of Novas, Omegas, etc. They all use the same wiper motor, as do a bunch of other makes\models.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 05, 09:21 AM

Hello

hmm something sounds definitely not quite right especially if your getting a shock off the motor, as people have said before take it apart and check it out!

my question is regarding the wiper motor etc is cant get my washer jets on this to squirt!
the wipers work but i get no water when i push the wiper switch in any ideas?
Is the pushing in of the wiper switch the way to turn the jets on etc?

Cheers

Andy
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 05, 10:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

BINGO!!! The light goes on. The missing ground is the problem.

The spraks you see are the current seeking ground THRU THE LINKAGE!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 05, 04:52 PM
Senior Tech

I have a similar problem with my wiper motor. Everytime I tried to hook up the linkage to the motor it arced like crazy, I put a voltmeter on the motor and every metal part on it had 12v, but the motor worked like it was supposed to until I tried to hook up the linkage then it arced. I went and bought a new wiper motor and installed it. Now it won't stop blowing fuses. The only thing I can think of was the motor was not grounding because the grounding strap and firewall had paint on them. Now that it is making a good ground it is shorting out. Now I see why the guy that owned the car before me left the wipers disconnected.

Could all this be just that we have our wires mixed up?
CamFrk68 if you figure anything out let me know.

Dino
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 05, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech

Just a quick note, I didn't see my grounding strap on my old wiper motor either until I was removing the rubber mounting gromlets. Maybe it's just painted black like mine was.

Dino

67 camaro 462 BB 9.6 CR Compcams 314HR 252 @ 50 612 lift, Port+Polish Oval port 2.19 1.88, Edelbrock RPM intake, 850 Holley DP, 3" exhaust, turbo 400 TCI 4000 stall, Dana 60 4.10 posi, 315/60/15 BFG M/T drag Radials, 3650lbs. w/driver. [email protected]
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 05, 05:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Hi Everyone,

I had the same problem less than a year ago.It turned out that the grinding was due to sand from previous sand blasting had entered the housing and was grinding everything up inside when the motor was powered up. It also caused my motor to short out and ground against the firewall. Sparks, burnt fuses, shocks and a motor that wouldn't stop when the switch was turned off were the end results until I went out and bought a rebuilt unit. Everything's back to normal. Goood Luck , Paul

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 05, 05:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Here's a link to a previous post by KevinW. If you decide to test the wiper motor itself, you'll find this extremely helpful. I too thought it was my wiring, but was wrong. Thank you again KevinW!!

https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum...0.html?#000000

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 05, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
But you shouldn't get shocked if it's not there!
... [/QB]
Inductive loads like Motors can do strange things. A motor winding can generate flyback voltage spikes in excees of 100 volts if a resistance is in the circuit (like a bad ground). 12 volts is enough to feel if a sensative part of your body completes the circuits. I've felt a twinge on the bottom of my fore-arms a few times. If you're wet, I'm sure you would feel it more.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode