Charging System Confusion - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 05, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ross

Red face

Ok here goes, 1969 Z/28, charging system shows no output with original ALT and EXT REG. Both units were bench tested and found to be in good working order but who knows stranger things have happened.The car is a ground up restoration with RS gauges and the correct wiring harness. I have traced back all the wires and everything is where it should be. I have since installed a Powermaster one wire with an 8 gauge wire to the junction block and now have 14 plus volts at the battery. The question I have is should my console battery gauge be reading on the negative side with the one wire setup even though I'm still getting 14 plus volts to the battery and also let me add that the ext regulator is not even on the car and the connecter for it is just hanging free. Plus the battery gauge read in the negative with the original alt and regulator. Could the wires to the battery gauge be reversed and would that make a difference anyway? At this point I stand in front of the car with one finger in my nose and one in my butt. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks for any help given.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 05, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
The gauge, AMP gauge(?), should read in the + Charge zone, right hand side, especially right after startup.

The two gauge wires can be reversed on the back of the gauge. Be sure to compare the other end of hookup to both wires before reversing, even have another person look at it. Two heads are always better than one.

Usually when change over to the internal alternators, the two outside terminals get jumpered together. This completes the ALT light circuit at the dash. But, with a onw-wire, it may not be an issue.

Be sure to wash before inserting finger in nose from wence it came!

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 05, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

When you went to the one wire alternator, where does the single alternator wire connect? To the junction block right in front of the battery or to the terminal on the horn relay that is used as a juntion to feed the rest of the car? If it's to the juntion in front of the battery you might as well throw the ammeter in the trash becasue it's not going to tell you anything. The ammeter is a really a millivolt range volt meter that senses voltage at the horn relay and at the terminal in front of the battery which is where the two gauge leads attach. It uses the charging wire that runs bewteen those points as a meter shunt. In the stock configuration when volts are higher at the horn relay than at the battery junction, the gauge indicates a charge is occuring and current is flowing from the horn relay terminal (because thats where the alternator output wire is connected) to the battery. When volts are higher at the battery terminal the gauge indicates a discharge and current is flowing out of the battery towards the horn relay. Since your alternator is connected to the terminal at the battery the only way current can flow (that the gauge sees) is away from the battery towards the horn relay, and your gauge will always read a discharge.

read this:

https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum...;f=10;t=001606

and this:

https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum...;f=10;t=001615

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode