MSD Distributor Question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Hey there peoples. Got a MSD Pro Billet 8361 that I want to install. The question being, are the o'rings on the bottom of the shaft necessary? I tried installing it once before and ripped one of the rings as it dropped into place. I know that a normal dist. doesn't have em, but am curious about the MSD actually requiring them.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 01:27 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Got your e-mail... I'm going to say yes you need the o-rings. I believe if you mic the shaft where the o-rings go it's smaller than a stock dist. Without the o-rings the dist would rock around and cause all sorts of problems from flakey timing to warn parts...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Dennis, not to sure because it was a real b&tch getting it to drop there. Have to see if I can locate new O'rings to put on it then for round two. Looked at MSD's site, but didnt see any mention of replacement o'rings. should be a real blast to figure out.
Thanks though for the response.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 02:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Mine dropped right in just like a stock unit, oiled it up real good. If you have one, the local NAPA carries a good selection of o-rings. Auto Zone and Advance Auto will sometimes pull out a tray full if you catch them in a good mood and they're not busy.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Thanks rojo, I think the problem more than anything might be the oil pump extention. It's one of the newer type that sits on top of the pump stem vs being clamped to it. So it tends to lean a bit. Picked an O'ring up at Home Depot and am playing with the wires now.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Man what a royal PITA that was to install. *Note to self- Never get replacement oil pump connecting rod that does not clamp down.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

Just for reference, the MSD replacement O-rings are available through Summit Racing. Part number is MSD-8494. The listed price is $11.69. Seems like alot of money for 2 O-rings.

As for whether the O-rings are needed, here is the quote from my manual(8551):

"Controlled Oil Flow:

The MSD Billet Distributor has two slots on each of the two bottom distributor lands. These slots are provided for installation of the two O-rings provide in the parts bag. These O-rings increase oil pressure by preventing oil from escaping past the oil gallery lands. Before taking advantage of this feature, the engine block must be modified.

If the O-rings are not used, the oil pressure will remain as if a standard distributor were used"

There is a diagram that shows the edges of the distributor bore in the block chamfered. I guess if you do not make the suggested modification to the block, the O-rings can be easily torn during installation.

I hope I am explaining this clearly. I can try to have the diagram from the manual scanned if needed to make this clear.

[ 07-31-2004, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: rcatalano ]

Rick

L48 350, BTO 2004R Level 3, 12 Bolt 4.10
New Project:
1969 Shelby GT350 (pics soon)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 04, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Rick,
Thanks, the o'rings do make it more difficult to get in, but finally got it in. (picked one up at home depot for $.28. Just got back from dinner and took it out to test it.. Seems like a couple extra ponies crept under the hood along with a better sound out the tail pipes.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 04, 04:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I'll be darn. I wondered why my oil pressure was so high and was thinking what I could do about it. It was blowing oil out the valve covers until I installed baffled gromets and that was on top of baffled valve covers. I was seeing it go as high as 80psi when cold. I read and read the instructions but I guess I never hit on that part. I'll be pulling it out this afternoon. Aint it neat how one problem provides a solution to another.

Thanks Rick.

And it might sound strange, but thanks Nantooch for having your problem. You might want to consider not using those o-rings.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 04, 08:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Well I just knew that was going to take care of my problem but it only helped. Removing the o-rings dropped the oil pressure 5psi on a cold motor. Not sure if that little of change was the intention of the o-rings or if "modifying the block to take advantage of this feature" would have had more of an impact. Either way I'm leaving them off.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 04, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Heck, now I'll still take the instructions if you'll send em.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode