hei question... please help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 04, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

I just bought a 73 camaro rs. The car was converted to hei distributor. The wire going to the power side is coming from a ballast resistor. Is this right? I thought it should get full voltage.If this is wrong, where do I get 12-volts from? If i leave the ballast resistor connected what will happen? also the other terminal is the tach, The car has no tach but there is a blue wire hooked to this. What is this, can I leave this disconected? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 04, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech

You are right about the ballast resistor. It's a breaker point ignition item. Give HEI a full 12 volts.

If you have a ballast resistor, then I presume the original factory resistor wire has been replaced (or they may not have had them in 73 - when did HEI come out anyway?). Hook up to the hot side of the ballast resistor (leave the other side disconnected). Start the engine and measure the voltage on the ballast resistors hot terminal. Should see nearly full system voltage.

If you have a ballast resistor installed with an HEI coil, it will either run poorly or not at all. Perhaps someone here has had the experience.

Is your HEI distributor one with mechanical advance and vacuum advance? Someone poked an old HEI in my 68 when I bought it. Turned out to be from an 80's era pickup with electronic spark timing. I had no advance at all. Just stayed at base time and ran like total...crud.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 04, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
GM's HEI came out in 1974. Chrysler was the first with electronic ignition in 1973.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 04, 03:24 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
When I put HEI in, I ran a new wire from the fusebox to it. The 12v source should be with key on.

Easy way is to replace the power wire form the fusebox to the ballast resistor with the proper gage wire, by-passing the resistor and going straight to the HEI.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 04, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech

I just buy a wire and connector from these guys. Comes with about 15 feet of wire. Made a hole in a plastic gromment in the firewall and pushed the wire in. Dressed it out under the dash and installed a 1/4 spade connector to plug it into the fuse block IGN. Maybe 20 minutes work.
http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/a...ies/hei1.shtml
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 04, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everbody for your help. I have to rewire every thing on this car. Okay so the way I understand it now is that there are 3 wires on the starter solenoid batt, s, and r. I hook up the batt, hook up the s to the purple wire which is now blue also. (previous owner changed all the wires under the hood to blue, dont ask me why). I do not hook up the r (this wire from what I was told is a to coil points wire which is supposed to enhance the signal at starting). The hei 12v switched wire can come from one of the two wires from the ballast resistor (There are two wires which go into the ballast resistor and at the other end there is only one wire). I must check
the end with two wires, to check which one of them is a switched 12v and which one is a constant non switched 12v. Is this correct?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 04, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Believe there should only be one wire on each side of the resistor. One going to dist can be taken away. Locate which of the other 2 is switched, run it to the dist, thus removing the resistor from the circuit entirely. the non switched wire needs to find a home in the trash.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 04, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Hi nantooch, No there are two wires there. This is a 73' rs. I believe one is a full 12v from the "r" terminal and the other is from the ignition 12v switched?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 04, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
HEI wouldnt use the second wire though as it takes full voltage normally. The wire that comes off the r terminal is to bypass the resistor for improved starts on a points dist. Lose the wire.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 04, 01:15 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Nantooch:
... Lose the wire.
72 3rdgen, I think Nantooch is right. This is a project where you'll have spare parts left over.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode