My 84 Is It Worth Saving? FIRE!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 01, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Question

1984 V8 305 Camaro-she'd been tampered w/for 2 weeks one stranded day after the other by the now EX BOYFRIEND FROM HELL! Then...

The guy finally got it right and ran a wire just under the distributor cap to the block both loose just dangling. She drove a good 20 minutes before the smoke and another 3-4 before the flames shot up the windshield. I got out and the fire was put out so he didn't really get me--guess he couldn't even do that right huh! SOB

The damage is pretty localized around the distributor but the wires all around are meltdown. Carb. is just fine (I put it in) Got used Distrib/Wires/Plugs/Rotor/Coil and now see that whole harnass of wires behind the Dist. are one blended piece. Do I try to save this car 305 V8 High Perf.... brand new carb. 16" tires and new battery! My only happy divorce gift I bought myself after 21 yrs of marriage/sadness? My luck w/men is non existant perhaps the caar is now too? Been stuck since 7/22! I hate walking. By a miracle IF I can fix it myself (no help) Will the car ever be the same? Should I try to just replace those melted wires in view or the whole wiring harnass throughout? what about the little extra parts I can't recognize now? Chilton?

I'm in Phoenix and have no one, old Ferrari mech friend said it's a gone'r as far as damage and hours to fix/I guess at his hrly he'd waste his tim$ to help me--If I do it it'll be alone so anybody? any advice?

Does anyone have a car sitting around they could donate to a new Mom but who still tries to turn a wrench (if they hadn't been stolen by the SOB) I will accept any donation that runs and I'll do the rest..OR just whatever I can get (advice) will help my depression.

I'd appreciate your input as I don't really know what to do.

Anita

------------------
This 1 needs us
lets all help
her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 01, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech

I feel for you Anita. Most likely you will need to replace the entire wiring harness. I would try to get a harness from a junk yard. They should still be out there for a 1984 but you may have to search a bit. Others here should be able to tell you what other years will fit as well. It is not that bad a job. I think you could do it yourself, just keep a positive attitude.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 01, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Davis:
just keep a positive attitude.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Chris...that last line is the kicker huh! It might take me and the baby almost 3 hrs to get to the junk yard and I dont know how I'll pull the harnass w/him ?backpack? I'll see. Perhaps Monday? Ha Ha. Thanks for the support I think your right the whole puppy might have to go. Have a good day!
Anita

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 01, 08:59 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

If the damage is isolated to wiring under the hood, I also say go ahead and fix it. Tell the guys at the junk yard your story...someone ought to be willing to help ... at least help to extract the replacement harness if necessary ... Put up a 2nd post with Phoenix Ariz in the title and explain your situation ... maybe one of the local guys that hang out on the forum can help you out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode