new battery,volt reg,and alt. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 03, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

all these are new ,but sometimes my gen light goes full red.
I pulled the hot cable from the battery,turned on lights wipers and fan.
car still ran fine.
if I turn it off pull the hot and then reconnect start it up light is out,but as soon as I rev it up(hard)light comes on again.and I have to repeat the whole thing to get it out.

??? ???

"Drive it like you stole it"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 SS camaro daily driver(wifes)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 03, 06:59 AM
Senior Tech

For starters don’t use that old trick of yanking off the battery cable. It was started years ago by guys who can’t read a meter. It can harm the charging system by doing that.
There’s two terminals coming out of the alternator. Colors are different sometimes on different cars but I’ll go with blue and white. Blue is the “F” or field terminal and runs down to the “F” terminal on the regulator. White is the “R” terminal or Relay terminal and runs down to the terminal on the regulator next to “F”.
The blue wire is the wire that controls the idiot light. A guess says that line seems to be ok. When the alternator is running, voltage from the alternator “R” terminal closes a relay inside the regulator and makes the light go off. I think the first thing I would look at is the voltage on the relay wire. If this is not high enough it won’t close the relay and turn off the light.
Check voltage to ground on both the “R” wire on the alternator and at the regulator to see if it has gone high. When the car is running it should be >5 volts to ground. Might be just a bad wire connection.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 03, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks!
I am really kinda lost when it comes to electrical stuff.......oh yeah and timining tro but thats another story.

thanks! again I'll check it out later today!

"Drive it like you stole it"

2000 SS camaro daily driver(wifes)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode