Back up Lights always on. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 20th, 04, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Garage
I'm in the process of wiring my back up lights to my B&M quicksilver shifter. The shifter came with a switch for the backup lights and the neutral safety switch. I ran the light green wire and the pink wire to the switch on the shifter for the backup lights. The problem is that the lights stay on once the key is turned on. They are on regardless of what gear the selector is in. Do you think I have a bad switch?

68 Island Teal
383/700r4
Hotchkis TVS with Global West UCA's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 21st, 04, 03:21 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

To check if you have a bad switch, which it seems like you might, I'd get a toggle switch and hook up the two wires that go to the back up light switch, which you said are the green and pink wire and see if they go off with the toggle switch. If they do, then you know it's your switch.
Not to insult you, but you are sure they are the correct wires?
Because all you really need is a power supply and a field wire to run back to the sockets/ bulbs. Then the sockets have the ground wires.
Good luck
Bruce
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 04, 04:18 PM
Team Member
John

The pink wire feeds ignition-switched 12 volts to the switch (which closes in reverse), and the light green wire feeds the power from the switch to the backup lights. Jumper from the pink wire to the light green wire and the lights should come on - if they do, you have a bad switch.
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 24th, 04, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Garage
Well, I figured out the problem. The switch was fine but the adjustment of the shifter cable and the placement of the switch was a bit out. The first problem was that I simply had to loosen the switch a bit and pull it away from the shifter so that the switch arm wasn't always depressed. The second issue was the detents for reverse and neutral were a bit too far forward despite the fact that my car shifted fine. The reverse lights came on in neutral and the neutral safety switch engaged in D. I re-adjusted the shifter cable according to the manufacturers instructions and it works fine.

Thanks,
Greg

68 Island Teal
383/700r4
Hotchkis TVS with Global West UCA's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode