harness suppliers - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 00, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I'm looking for a good supplier of stock/modified wiring harnesses. I've contacted Centech Classic (found them in Super Chevy). Anyone ever have dealings with them? How'd it turn out?

I'm completely rewiring in stages...the engine bay...the rear...then the interior. But I'm making a few changes ie: internal regulator alternator, HEI, stock style guage package (incl. console), power windows. I've added up the various harnesses that I found in my catalogs (man this ain't cheap!) but I couldn't find anything that offered my specific modifications...just stock and various conversion harnesses.

I believe I'd like to have these changes integrated in an as-built harness and not cobble together this and that like there is currently throughout my car. Is this sensible? Who can provide such harnesses? What might it cost? Anyone out there done it? Thanks for any leads/info you might provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 00, 06:12 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

A friend of mine had M&H add several non-stock wire runs in the harnesses he had built. You're right, it's not cheap.

If all you are looking for is is the stuff you mention and you are comfortable with wiring you can do most of it yourself. Re building the harnesses is not that difficult and the 68-72 Nova harnesses are practically the same. Removing the wrapping, replacing and splicing, and re-wrapping is pretty straightforward with a wiring diagram. Practice on a few junkyard harnesses to get the feel of how the ends of the wire remove from the firewall plug and connectors. If you buy wiring harnesses for the console gauges and power windows it should show how the harnesses install. There is a tech paper in this forum that shows how to install a 12si alternator and eliminate the regulator. As a bonus, there are usually enough extra holes in the firewall connection to route extra wiring (stereo, alarm, gauges,etc)into the cabin. That way it looks totally stock and no extra firewall holes need to be drilled. For example, I run both electric choke and stereo power feeds in the engine harness and the only giveaway is the pigtail running from the harness to the choke.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 00, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Cool

Sounds good! Can do! Anyone out there particularly happy with a repro wiring harness supplier? I've contacted Centech Classic with my needs, so far no reply. Anyone worked with these guys?

Also, any suggestions on where to get various plastic connector plugs? I'm currently running an HEI but I'm using a cheesy little Radio Shack spade connector. Since I'll be adding a tach, I'd love to find the right 2 wire stock-style plastic connector that snaps into the distributor cap.

Another question...my D & R classic auto catalog shows an engine harness for V8 w/o Gauges, or a V8 w/idle stop solenoid. The only engine harness it shows "w/gauges" is for 396. And provision for a Turbo 400 kickdown shows available for a 1970 model. Am I to understand 1969 350s didn't come with guages or Turbo 400s?

I have a 1969 convertible with 350, no idle stop solenoid, and Turbo 400 with an (obviously non-stock) HEI distributor, and I'll be adding stock-style console gauges and a stock in-dash tach.

Any sources/explanations/suggestions/leads? THANKS

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 00, 05:40 AM

www.wiringharness.com M&H Electrical Fabricators, Santa Fe springs, Cal. Simply the best in the business, not inexpensive, just make sure you give them all the info on any changes you are making, because if you don't, you will get exactly what you order, as in mo mods if not asked for.

They give a discount for cash and will-call orders. It actually pays to have somebody go there to pick the harness up, then ship it to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode