Console lighting problems - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 04, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

I have a 69 Z28. The lighting for the gauges (fuel, etc.) goes on and off. If you hit the sides of the console, they will come on for a brief time and then dim again through the course of shifting.

Would someone please tell me how to get the console cover off? I have the cover that goes over the gauges removed, but can't seem to figure out the trick to the long console cover. Also, any ideas on what may be causing this problem with the lights would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 04, 01:12 PM
Senior Tech

rcline:
If you're "simply" trying to remove the top of the console to inspect your gauges, there is a screw in the back under the ash tray door, screws under the center cover and two screw underneath the top of the console in the corners up front - a little stubby screw driver comes in handy for these. The Center shift plate also has to come off. The lights themself ground against the console plate so it sounds as if one of your lights might be loose and not making contact with the metal plate. First thing I'd do is make sure all the light sockets are plugged into the plate securely.

Dan
'68 Convertible

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 04, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

I got the gauge cover off and the shifter plate off and located the loose wire. However, I need to put in fresh bulbs in the whole instrument package and would like to be able to slide the top of the console back a couple of inches in order to do that because I can't get my hands back there. I am assuming this is a two-piece shell.
If I take out the screw up on the driver's side by the gas pedal, and the two heavier mounting screws (one under the shifter plate which is where the bad ground was, and one in the storage compartment at the back where the back seat courtesy light is), will I be able to move the top piece of the console back a few inches?
Thanks for your fast reply and I hope you can help with this, too! It is realy appreciated!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 04, 05:48 AM
Senior Tech

rcline
The console is a two piece sheel. Check out my last post as to where the screws are. It's 35 year old plastic so be careful and go slow. Don't force it. If it doesn't come apart, look for a screw or two that you missed.

If you have an assembly manual, it shows a cut-away view of the two console halves as to where all the screws are.

Dan
'68 Convertible

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 04, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech

I've had my console apart many times, but I just sorta figured it out as I went. But if I can tell you anything at all, it's this:
Don't overtighten any of the screws when you put it back together! And always tighten the screws in rotation, a little here, a little there until its snugged up. Worst sound you can hear is that awful "crack" when you're tightening the screws. Don't ask me how I know!
I'm wondering...do you have the console wiring harness? If so, just take the console apart completely and do the job right the first time. Check all the connections and grounds and clean everything. Just loosening enough to feel around inside is a bad idea on OLD plastic. Besides, you'll learn so much more by taking the time to do it right, and the result will be much better. And double and triple check the oil pressure line connection...if not done right it lead to a real mess! (...again, don't ask [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] )
IMHO.

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode