MSD Ratcheting Crimper - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I am interested in purchasing one of these MSD Ratcheting crimpers before I start installing my Painless Wiring harness in my '68. We have some great ones here at Boeing that when you crimp a 20 gauge wire you could literally hang 200 pound weights from. That's the kind of crimps I want! Has anyone bought one of these? Let me know I'm curious. I just hate those cheap ones from the auto parts stores.
Thanks,
MStarmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 01, 08:30 AM
Tech Team

a fellow aviation maitenance technician? snap on makes a decent ratcheting crimper. AMP has some really nice ones, but youll pay big bucks for them. considered Raychem connectors? they are superior.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Also check with Thomas & Betts for crimpers

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 02:23 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Michael,
I have used the style that are used by Aircraft Mech's (I too am in the Aviation Mechanics field). I have a pair of the MSD Crimpers and I wont leave home without them. They work GREAT, and are easy to change the jaws or the crimp pressure.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 06:58 PM
Z28 Mark @home

I have a AMP Products ďPRO Ė CRIMPER ll. Kit P/N: RBYTSK. I got it through an electrical tool supplier (Technetool, Inc.) Itís a ratcheting type of crimper and I think itís great and it only cost about $100.00 w/ a case and about 150 PIDG and Plasti-Grip pre insulated crimp terminals. Itís adjustable and will handle any wire from 22 AWG to 10 AWG. Also the dies can be changed or replaced if needed. Not a bad tool, if I say so my self.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 01, 02:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I bought a crimper from Mobile Tools ( Bob who posts here ) for about $25. It's well made and ratcheting. The jaws are interchangeable, too.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 03:05 PM

Thumbs up

Hi Rick, The crimpers worked ok?
Michael, the part # is TA-18900. They are on page 9 in the Spring Cataloge for 27.95, minus the 10% discount it comes to 25.15. No shipping costs.
Rick, Did you get the Spring Cataloge? Do you have one Michael? If not you can fill out the cat. order form at the site. The link is in my sig. Here's some motivation for you, I'll send the pliers to you and if you like them after you use them you can mail me a check for the 25.15 if you do not like them just send them back to our warehouse.
Let me know

69 Z-502
Body by Fisher and Customized by Fisher
www.mobiletools1.com

[This message has been edited by mobiletools (edited 03-30-2001).]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 01, 01:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Bob, the crimpers are great! Can't believe I went all these years without them. Got your Spring catalog. Where can I get different crimp jaws? I'm assuming I need a different setup for plug wires(?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode