Console Extension Harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Is the extension harness the same for both guage and non-guage applications? I need the harness from the fuse box to the console and I am not using guages.

Thanks guys for all your help!!!!!

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth

[This message has been edited by CA420 (edited 11-14-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 08:28 AM
Senior Tech

HI....

Page 557 of the current 2000 Classic Industry catalog: "These harnesses are manufactured for all Camaros with or without factory gauges.....order the correct application below"

I don't know if you car is automatic or manual tranny...but here's what they list:

#CA85113 1968 Auto w/out gauges $29.95

#CA85112 1968 Manual w/out " " $16.95

So, it does look as though there's separate harnesses depedning on if you use gauges or no gauges on your center console.

Hope this helps,
David
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

This is not the harness I am looking for. I need the harness from the fuse box to the console harness. What you gave me is the console harness that I already have.

------------------

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 10:15 AM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I need the harness from the fuse box to the console harness. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I can tell in my factory wiring manual and the Classic and Rick's 1st gen catalogs, the part from the fuse box to the console harness is part of the main underdash harness.
In fact when you order a new underdash harness, it asks you to specify whether or not you'll be using console gauges,so they know what to wrap in the harness form the fuse box.
None of my catalogs list it separately.
They list the harnesses I listed above as well as a separate gauge harness.

In both cases (as well as in my shop manual), it states that this plugs into the main underdash harness.

I hope I'm not missing some obvious thing here, but this is what I come up with in my books.

Cheers,
David

[This message has been edited by 67LT1 (edited 11-15-2000).]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Smile

I appreciate your help David. If you look at the catalog, they also sell an extension harness that I do not have and I am wondering if it is only for cars with guages or not. I can make my own harness but really don't want to.

Thanks again!!!

------------------
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

There are several under dash harnesses There are two harnesses for cars with consoles and on for cars without consoles. If your car originally had a console, but no gauges then the the underdash harness has the wires in it for the neutral safety switch, interior lamp, and the shift plate illumination. If its a 4 spd then the only thing in there is the interior lamp at the back of the console. The under dash wiring harness for cars with consoles and guages have all of the wiring for the water, temp, fuel level, and ammeter built into the dash harness.

The extension harness for adding gauges to a console consists of a Y connector that goes in line with the existing underdash harness and the console wiring harness. The third leg of the Y contains the wires for the Ammeter, low fuel level light, water temperature sender, and the connection to the existing fuel sender wire. The ammeter and temperature sender wires get routed through the bulkhead penetration into the engine compartment, the rest get spliced into existing wireing up under the dash.

Yes you can make your own harness as long as you can get the mating halves of the connectors for the connector at the front of the console. Doing it that way makes for a neater installation anyway, since you don't have the "Y" connector showing at the front of the console.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech

Talking

As usual on my part....overthinking the problem

Anyway, as far as I can gather from my book, the "Extension" harness is only needed of you are running gauges.

"it must be used in conjunction with the console wiring harness to complete the gauge circuits....."

So, it looks like all you need is what you already have.

Anyway, it was a good excercize in practicing my typing skills

have fun,
David

[This message has been edited by 67LT1 (edited 11-15-2000).]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 00, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Wink

I am going to make my own harness. I checked the wires under the dash and man it will be so easy.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode