kill swicth - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 03, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i have a 68 camaro with a mallory unilite 9000 distributor. I am in the process of getting the car back on the road after countless hours of engine rebuilding and body work. the thing is that i can start the car by putting a screwdriver in the ignition and i would hate to see all my work go bye bye because i dont have a kill switch or some other safety device. I would like to know what are some ways to hook up a kill switch? thanx Nick

68 camaro, 350, comp cams xe262, hooker super comp headers, torque thrust II's, its a work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 03, 05:43 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

I have 2 kill switches in mine...

One is a toogle that is inline on the neutral saftey switch...

The second is a switch mounted where the cigarette lighter light goes...it cuts the ground wire from the distributor. Works well...I forgot to flip the switch when I was firing up the car last week...ran the battery down quite a bit before I figured it out. Do a search, this topic was covered with some great ideas not too long ago.

Good Luck

Bob
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 03, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Install an ON-OFF toggle switch capable of 15 amps, thereby good quality, in the power wire to the ignition. No power, no ignition.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 03, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

everett what color is the power wire to the ignition. im not too good with electrical thanx nick

68 camaro, 350, comp cams xe262, hooker super comp headers, torque thrust II's, its a work in progress
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 03, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

I'd use the original resistive ignition wire, the one covered in cloth, on the original harness. It went from the firewall plug above the left toe board to the distributor location on the engine. I would check the Unilite instructions to read what MSD had you do with the original wire harness when converting to Unilite ignition.

Or any one of the wires of Unilite harness from within the distributor.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 03, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

its a mallory distirbutor but it was really easy to hook
red +on coil
green -on coil
brown ground to block
and just hook it up just like any other distributor. so i just have to splice into the wire that has that braided cover on it and run the switch to the inside of car.....right?
thanx Nick

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 03, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Correct. Take the terminal and hook to it, run wire inside to switch, then back out to MALLORY Unilite. Be sure to insulate the connection(s) well.

'
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 03, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i will let u guys know how it goes when i hook it up this weekend.....thanx for the help
Nick

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Talking

the kill switch is now in and it works pefect thanx guys
Nick [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode