High Beam Indicator - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Today I found my week long wierd electrical problem. When-ever my high beams were on my lights / radio / ect were shutting off but not when the low beams were on. It turned out to be the high beam light indicator is free floating arround and grounding out. Does anyone know where this goes? I can't place where it should attach. It's on a 68 Camaro. -Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech

in between the speedo and (tach or fuel gauge) there is a small hole and a red light should be in the hole, the indicator connects to this...
G'luck
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 11:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

It's on top of the instrument cluster. There is a metal strap that goes from the back of the instrument cluster up to the housing. You should see the socket for it. You will definitly have to drop the instrument carrier to get to this. Best bet is to remove the two small steering wheel covers. Drop the steering wheel down. Put a towel or some tape over the top of the steering wheel. remove the screws for the carrier and pull it forward. The socket will be staring right at you. Have fun! While you are at it scuff up the strap that the top center screw on the housing goes through. That sucker is the cause of a lot of weird grounding problems.

------------------
Cars:
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of Kansas City

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Smile

Well, I found where it should go, but it's missing the "red" plastic. It's just a hole, the bracket is there though. I also noticed my center piece has a crack in it, so I'm going to replace it. I also noticed my cigarette lighter is not hooked up nor does it have a fuse in the fuse box. When I try to put one, it blows. This is also the fuse for the dome light. I'm suspecting that whatever wire that needs to hook up to the back of the cigarette lighter is shorting out somewhere. Does anyone know the color of the wire that hooks up to the cigarette lighter? Or where I can find a detail book on the eletrical wiring diagram for the 68 Camaro? I'm sure I'll get my use out of one
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 02:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

I believe that the cig lighter wire is orange. I can check it this tonight. I have the wiring diagrams.

------------------
Cars:
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I'll look for a loose orange wire. Where did you get the wiring diagram? I can see I have need of one Thanks again!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 02:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

Well, the wiring diagram does not show it. The factory assembly manual shows a picture of the connector though. It kinda looks like a baseball cap with the back half cut off. The connector connects to the back of the lighter at a 90 degree angle. Hope that helps.

------------------
Cars:
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 03:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

NPD and Rick's both have the diagrams, they are the best invested $5 or $6 bucks in the resto works in my 68. Even more helpfull than the so called Chasis service manuals or the Fisher one. Order it today and you will get every penny out of it in the first troubleshooting you made. Good luck.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 01, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Exclamation

Thanks for the tips. I'll be working on it today.

I haven't heard of NPD, what's there site?

Thanks much!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 01, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Well after extending the wiring for the high beam indicator, it all fits together nicely.

However, my last electrical problem is still bugging me. I'm so close. My dome light and cigarette lighter are on the same fuse. When ever I put a fuse in, it blows with a big nasty spark.

I thought I had it fixed. When I had the orange wire going to the "fuel" gauge pulled off, everything was working great with the exception of the cigarette lighter (since no wires are going to it). When I hooked back up the center bezzel with the orange wire to the fuel gauge, it blew my fuse again.

I pllued the fuse and left the fuel gauge hooked up, since I pefer to have it instead of the dome light (for now). If anyone knows where I should begin looking, please let me know. I couldn't find the (orange?) wire for the cigarette lighter, but I'm supecting it may be part of the equation.

Many thanks!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 01, 02:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 01, 08:58 PM

I had a similar problem. It ended uo being a bad cigarette lighter unit. Replaced it and everything worked fine. Pete

------------------
67 red camaro convertible, 78 silver anniversary vette, 1976 kz900, 1985 Z28 camaro, 1971 chevelle. Too many toys now My four car garage is no longer big enough.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 01, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hmmm.... still can't find the problem. I have the service manual now. Hopefully next weekend I'll have better luck with the wiring diagram in the service manual. I don't believe it's the cigarette lighter assembly, since it's not hooked up. It could be the wires that should go to it (since I can't find them). It only blows when I put the orange wire for the fuel gauge. If I leave it out, it works. Any other ideas guys?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 07:52 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Any orange courtesy light wire could be shorted.The dome light is a likely suspect.I've seen several cars with screws run thru the wire that runs thru the A piller to the dome light.Actually,it seems on a 1st gen the wire comes from the sail panel area?The wire is hot all the time.The door pin switch gives the light a ground.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 01, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It can't be the done light, since if I unplug the orange wire to the fuel gauge, it doesn't blow the fuse and the dome light works. Hmmm. I found (I think) my orange wire for the cigarette lighter. It's not connected but it wasn't shorting either I was hoping that it was that. I haven't hooked it back up to the cigarette lighter since the unit doesn't look good (I'll be replacing it later). I pull the fuse box and look every where for a short. I'm not finding anything. I measure the voltage from the left side of the fuse clip for the dome light and it reads at 11.64 volts. Sounds normal to me. Any ideas? I'll do some more tracking tomorrow. Thanks for the comments and help so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode