Really Need Help with Tail Light Problem! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 01, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

I have been slowly working through several wiring issues with my recently aquired 68 RS/SS convertible. Now I have hit a brick wall. None of my tail lights, side marker lights, or gauge cluster lights work. The headlights work fine, the flashers work, and my reverse lights work.

I have the wiring diagram, but I am still lost. I have 12 volts at the fuse. I have 12 volts at the light switch (I have tested the light switch in another car and it tested fine, but as soon as I pull the light switch on, the 12 volts goes to zero. It is like something is grounding, but the fuse does not blow. I have removed all the bulbs from the back of the car and checked for shorts, and everything tested fine. Any help would be appreciated. I am really pulling my hair out with this one.

------------------
Dave Richard
68RS/SS Convertible
350/295 Powerglide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 01, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech

I have the same switch in my 67 and it's a piece of %#$%. I took mine out and took it apart, cleaned it with electrical cleaner, put it back in and now it kinda works. When I turn the knob it sometimes cuts out my dash lights or my head lights.

I hate electrical work!

------------------
Stock 67 327 RS
www.angelfire.com/ca7/goatjjcamarors/index.html
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 01, 04:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

The other, day the stop lights in my 68 stopped working, I made the same measurements as you did and the 12 volts disappeared when I hit the brakes and the fuse didn't burnt out. You know what? The fuse wasn't making a good contact at the terminals in the fuse block. I cleaned them and everything started working OK. I'm still looking for a good rust inhibitor to avoid this in the future. Also make sure you have a good ground; I welded a ground wire to the rear tail light sockets and connected it directly to the car body just to make sure I have enought of it. Good luck...

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 06-14-2001).]

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 01, 04:45 PM

Lightbulb

Go to your local outboard shop and ask for OMC lubricaing grease p/n 503243. This stuff is great I currently work on outboards and use the hell out of this stuff.

------------------
building 75 CAMARO 406sbc w/ 272 crane cam,94truck heads eldebrock intake,Q jet
1000 STALL
94 3/4 GMC 4X4
air raid walker high flow cat,flowmaster exaust,4.10 gears detroit locker
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 01, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Thanks for the suggestions, but I know it is not the switch. I swapped my switch into a friends car and it worked fine. My plan is to really clean up the fuse panel and check the positive feeds from the connector block. Any other ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 01, 02:57 PM
CJ
Senior Tech
Cris

There are a couple of grounds that run along the rear tail light harness. Make sure they have good clean contact as well.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 01, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech
TOM

Cool

A test light would be handy to trace out were you are losing the power to to rear lights. You say you have power at tHe fuse box, well you'll have to check along to way to the rear lights and see if a line is cut.
Have fun
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 01, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Smile

Thanks for the help! The problem turned out to be the wire going to the drivers side front marker light. It was worn through from rubbing on the inner fender and was grounding. I found it when I started digging around up there and the tail light fuse blew. I guess I made it short enough to blow the fuse. Taped the wire, replaced the fuse and problem solved.....

Don't you love old cars!!

------------------
Dave Richard
68RS/SS Convertible
350/295 Powerglide
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 01, 07:58 PM
Tech Team

Lightbulb

A bad ground on lights will make you pull your hair out... Make sure you take off and clean (bare metal contact required)all your ground wires.. 99% sure this will fix your problems... When through this my self...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode