Stereo Amplifier short - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 19th, 04, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Have been having bettery problems. Have checked all the grounds and all seems fine. I disconnected the negative cable from the battery and hooked up the test light to the terminal and the ground wire on the test light to the negative battery post. The test light came on, I checked the wiring and when I disconnected the main wire going to the amplifier the light on the test light went off. Could this be the problem? Is this normal or not ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 19th, 04, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

There is a small, usually blue wire that coming off the head unit that tiggers the amp when you turn on the head unit. Is this wire connected to the amp? If you have a constant 12 volts connected instead, this will keep the amp on ... Look at your amp wiring again ... YOu have the "large" 12 volt feed from the battery ... you have a ground ... You have the trigger switch/connection ( separate from the large connection ) ... If these are connected properly, you should not have battery drain caused by the amp UNLESS the off/on internal relay/switch is stuck in the on position ...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 04, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The Red wire that goes to the bettery is the one that was drianing the bettery.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 04, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Soory hit the send button to early. The Red wire that goes to the battery is the one that was drianing the battery. The blue wire is connected but, switches on when the stereo is turned on. I think you are right something in the amp got stuck on the in position or is making some time of ground.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 04, 04:57 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Yeah, I know that the power drain will go across the red ... I only meant to emphasize the blue as the switch ... use a multimeter to make sure that the blue is "dead" when the radio is off, or, disconnect the blue and see if the amp still kicks in when the radio is turned on ... If you determine that the amp may have an internal switching problem and you don't want to replace it immediately, you can use a 30amp relay on a ign switched circuit ... Run that main wire thru the relay so that the main power circuit will only have juice when the ign switch is on ir in acc position ... then let the blue switch the amp as usual ... If it is a nice amp, i would not immediately discard it if i have other options that woud still work ...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 04, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It appears that by disconnecting the amp it is now charging , Thanks for the info.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode