RS Backup Lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me if you can use the standard wiring harness for a 69 and split the back up wires to meet the RS style backup lights on the lower tail panel or am I stuck having to buy an RS harness?

Thanks,

Curt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 02:06 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Curt if you aren't worried about originality because the RS back up lights have built in wire grommets where they pass through the trunk, then yes you can use your existing harness. Simply cut the old connector off and butt splice in a length of wire adequate to reach the RS lens assembly you've added and hook them up.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the Reply SY!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 04, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
Charles

curt,

the 69 rs back-up light housings come with a pigtail that has the rubber grommet molded onto it. the trunk wiring harness just has a plug on it, no grommet.

i have an old mangled 69 rs trunk harness that is missing some bulb holders. with some splicing and the old bulb holders from your standard harness you could make this one work and everything would plug in correctly. i ended up buying a new harness for my car and have this one left over. i'd part with it pretty cheap if you're interested. could email pics too if interested.

charles

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 04:19 PM
Team Member

The RS also lights the inside panels (I guess you call it that) when the brake lights are on. rather than just lighting the outer 2 panels for brakes, 4 panels are lit. You may never notice it , but you may consider replacing the inner bulb wiring also.
TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the Replies.
After looking an my current harness...it seems "chopped up" alreay with a lot of electrical tape hold a majority of it together. I am repainting the car & replacing the little things so I guess it may be in my best interest in just getting the RS harness anyway. Ricks has the following : 69 RS Rear Body Light Harness for 93.95, is that the going price for this..seems kinda high.

Thanks,

Curt
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech
Charles

i just got a new rear 69 RS harness from Rick's last week, that's why i offered my old RS harness to you. the new one fit perfectly.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Run269,

I really appreciate your offer. It sounds from your description that your RS harness is in the shape of my standard one. Like I said, I am replacing most of the stuff on my car while being painted so guess I'll go your route getting a new one & since you commented that it fits great.
I found it at NPD for 84.95 but havent ordered from them before so dont know about excessive shipping costs.

Thanks,

Curt
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 04, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech
Charles

my harness was a Factory Fit brand. i've searched this site a lot and that seems to be the best brand for stock (non-custom) replacement harnesses. good luck

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode