gauge/dash lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 02, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

I just got my first 69 so I know next to nothing about restoring them. All the lights in my dash are green except the one for the speedometer, which is "white." I was wondering, is there any way to change that light to green without getting another speedometer? I know it's a small thing, but it'd be cool if all the lights matched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 02, 10:22 AM
Guess

Hey Novice, welcome to TEAM CAMARO. You definitely came to the right place to learn about your '69.

Actually, that light should be green also. It's very hard to see it but if you look at the top edge of where the gauge is mounted in the dash, through the plastic window, you'll see a slot where the light filters through a GREEN piece of plastic. You'll have to remove the gauge in order to see it for sure. It's about 2 inches long by about 3/8" wide.

The green filter is probably burned through by the light bulb. Or was totally removed by a previous owner. Or it could just have become too brittle and is broken and gone. The gas gauge will have the exact same setup.

All of the idiot lights along the bottom have this same colored plastic in front of the bulbs. Red, green and blue depending on the indication. I don't know of anyone is making replacements but if not, I'm sure you could find something to use in the junkyard or maybe at a crafts supply store.
Correct me if there is a replacement filter for the lights guys.

Good luck with your car!

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
1969 Wallet Crusher
- [email protected]

HwyStar's Garage!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 02, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

Thanks ,Joe, for that quick reply! I'll be asking lots of questions in the months to come, lots of dumb ones probably. I thought the bulbs might actually be green because sellers on ebay seem to make an awfully big deal out of radios, heater controls, etc. if they light up green. Thanks again!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 02, 05:32 PM
Guess

It's my pleasure for sure!
But just so ya know, we were ALL new at First Gen's at one time or another. I'm learning just like you. My '69 has never driven under it's own power since before I bought it. If I had never found TEAM CAMARO, it would have been sold or junked by now.

The only dumb questions are the one's ya don't ask. The forum search feature at the top right will be your best friend. Guarenteed that someone either asked it or offered it as reference at some point in the past. There's almost 4 years worth of knowledge in the archives. Make sure your printer has a fresh ink cartidge!

You'll definitely want to check out The Camaro Research Groups web site also. A huge wealth of information there! http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml
Check it out.

Oh.... about EBay, be careful!!!

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
1969 Wallet Crusher
- [email protected]

HwyStar's Garage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode