Fuel Pump Wire Colors? Help! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Cool

I THINK I have a bad electric fuel pump. Before I tear apart the entire back end of my car to get to it, I wanted to test the pump by checking for (or placing voltage) on the connector above the rear axle.
There are three wires, BLACK, PURPLE and Dirty white (Gray?). Not sure which two are the pump and which one is the fuel gauge float. My Haynes book is not any help in this case.
THAKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

The gray is the one.It will only have power for 2 sec. if you turn on the key.Have a friend turn the key,while you're under the car.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 10:52 AM

Dale - Thank you! I placed my meter on the Gray and the black wires over the rear axle and just like you said - I got a 2 second pulse of 12 volts then I could hear the fuel pump relay click as it switched off. (The Purple wire must be for the gas gauge float)
The bad news is I did not hear the whirl of the Fuel pump and now I know that it IS getting voltage. I spent the rest of the night tearing virtually the entire back end from my 1991 Camaro RS to remove the gas tank. No Fun, some of the bolts needed to be heated with a propane torch until they would loosen. Had to cut the exhaust pipe too just before the axle and pull it out.
Should finish Sat. Keep you posted.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dale68z:
The gray is the one.It will only have power for 2 sec. if you turn on the key.Have a friend turn the key,while you're under the car.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Buy a AC Delco pump,some of the aftermarket pumps dont last.Also,replace your fuel filter and the sock in the tank.The biggest killer of GM fuel pumps,is a restricted/plugged filter.Remember,that filter sees alot of fuel,over half of the fuel that goes thru it,gets returned to the tank.Is your car rusty? Be careful with the fuel line fittings,use lots of WD40.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 01, 07:08 PM

Thumbs up

Dale,
Thanks!

Everything is working again. Just for the sake of anyone else who may have to do this I should add a few comments. The Wires to the Fuel Pump are GRAY (+) and BLACK (-). I measured the bad pump and found no continuity (infinity Ohms, where the new pump measured about 1.8 ohms on my meter).

I did as you said - changed the fuel filter by the rear axle and the "sock" or strainer in the tank - Both were in DIRE need of changing. The Stainer was near rotting and the gas in the tank side of the filter was black.

The WD-40 or Rust Buster was a great tip - The tank was very difficult to get out even with the rear assemble all apart and lowered. All the bolts were very hard to get off and it seemed like I needed a DIFFERENT size socket for EACH bolt.

One tip I would have - Jack stands on each side JUST behind the moving parts of the rear end and a hydralic jack under the rear differential. Lots and lots of WD-40 on everything.

I would like to find the engineer that put the Fuel Pump in the tank so that I could give him a swift kick in the @##.

Anyhow after about 8 hours of hard labor and $90 later it's running like a top! Thanks so much for your support - this is a great forum. Hope this helps others.

[This message has been edited by dkester (edited 03-17-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode