Voltage dropping, I need help with wiring? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I need some help with my wiring setup. While sitting at a light at night with the lights on and the electric fan running my volts drop down to 12 if not lower. Know I have replaced the battery, voltge regulator and the alternator with a new 100 amp one. And the volts still drop. The way I have it wired is like this: One wire (10 or 12 guage) from the pos. battery across the radiator support to the junction connection by the voltage regulator. Fom there one wire goes to the fuse box and one wire goes to the alternator. I have my fan and MSD box running off the positive side of the battery. So I have 3 wires coming off the positive battery terminal. This I would like to fix as well. Can I run a wire straight from the battery to the alternator? And leave the one going to the junction connection as well. I assume I should be using an 8 gauge wire to the alternator, but the wire going to the junction connection is smaller then 8 gauge, like 10 or 12. I hope this isn't confusing. I want a clean show quality look but I don't want 4 wires on the positive terminal. Any suggestion or pics would be awesome. Tell me the clean way to properly wire all this. Thanks.

67 Camaro Pro Street, 540 Bill Mitchell Merlin big block, Merlin Aluminum heads, Holley 870, hydraulic camshaft, 2" Hooker Super Comp headers, Mallory and Crane ignition system, TH400, 2600 stahl, Ford 9" w/ 4:10 gears and posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 08:03 PM
Senior Tech

If the alternator is considered a 1-wire alt. Then, yes you can run a wire from the alt. to the battery.You won't need the wire going from the alt. to the junction block anymore.The actual alternater is a different story.What brand is it?Some of the 100amp alts. are nothing more than a stock alternater that kicks out a 100amps at 4500rpm. Which of course if a stock alt. wasn't doing the trick at idle neither will this one.I have a 100amp Powermaster. It came with specs from a load test. It kicks out 63amps at 1200rpm, which is more then enough to power all my extra goodies.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 03, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It is the Jegs chrome version. I think they are made by a company called Tuff Stuff. It says it is rated at 100 amps. I am wondering if my problem is to small of a wire going to the alternator?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 03, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech

I ran 6ga. wire from my alt to my battery; 8ga probably would have worked just fine but I already had the larger wire.The wire that you have is most likely 10ga. If it's the original wire it could have gotten a little corroded which creates resistance. Replacing the wire definantly won't hurt.I checked out your alt in Jegs.I'm not trying to be a turd but I think that alt is like what I described in my last post.Basically stock amperage at idle and the 100amps kicks in at a high rpm.I had bought a Summit brand 100amp alt and that's how it worked until I got the Powermaster,then everything worked great at idle speeds.I could be completely wrong about your alt, but I,m just trying to give a heads up.Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode