Late model controls in 67' - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

how hard whould it be to wire in a set of late model f-body heating and ac controls into a 67'. i plan on putting in a new wirring harness, most likely a painless wirring kit. Also i would like to install the late model headlight switch. Can anyone give me an idea of what i am looking at in means of wiring modifications if it will even work.

Thanks
matt

------------------
Your PimpDaddy MATTT

red lifted 94' chevy z71
Yamaha R1

Big Plans for a 67' camaro

And even bigger plans in the future for a Dodge Viper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 01, 03:06 PM
Senior Tech

Matt you have big dreams, I have read all of your posts and responded to some that seamed do-able. , However like I have said before, if you have the $$$ anything is possible, but as for originality it would be different.

your in a catch 22, you want to use modern A/C controlls on a 33 yr old system, a Painless Wiring kit is nice, but more to replace the orig wiring with , the headlight switch could be doable, if the car is NOT an R/S, I think your best bet is to go get a 96 Camaro , take all the 1/4 panels from your 67 and weld them onto the 96. then you will have just what you need.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 01, 03:57 PM
Senior Tech
Bret

Ok, I'll bite. If your going to be dropping that kind of cash I'm sure it's possible. For instance, Kyle & Stacy Tucker's "Twister" used a headlight switch from a late model mini-van. As stated above, it won't work to operate the vacuum headlight system if it's an RS-though if you converted to an electric headlight system from a '67 that might work.
As for the a/c control, Vintage Air would be a good idea for an upgrade-new a/c system running the new "freon"-134A?? as opposed to r-12 and they have modern style controls available, though I don't think it would look like the fourth gen Camaro http://www.vintageair.com/ Lastly, if your going that far, why not remove the original dash all together and build a custom one? Again, reference the Twister...??? Good luck, keep us posted and post some pictures when you get it started.

Almost forgot, do a search on wiring harnesses-someone here had problems with Painless. M&H was recomended and to some extent can build a customized "stock replacement" harness-add hookup for HEI instead of points, etc.
------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu

[This message has been edited by bretcopsey (edited 01-17-2001).]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 01, 05:52 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Bret - It looks like I'm following you around today!! As for Matt's plight... I'm going to mention another well known car the "Thrasher". I read that $35,000 went into building it, if you had to pay for the labor that went into it well that would set you back $100,000

Now let's get back to the "Twister" for a second. The Tuckers actually used a good chunk of a '99 guage pod in there car so creativity and wallet are 2 limiting factors. A third is both the cars I mentioned were built by modern day engineering legends... Both the Tuckers and Steilow have been around the track so to speak.... Matt if you got the wallet and you study and learn until you know this stuff inside out, I have no doubt you'll put together a great Camaro... What I fear is what you will call it, given the handle you choose to use here!!!

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 01, 05:59 PM
Senior Tech
Bret

Dennis, I agree..."Da Pimp-mobile" I cringe at the thought of murals, gold plating and hydraulics. LOL , only kidding Matt!!

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu

[This message has been edited by bretcopsey (edited 01-17-2001).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 01, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Talking

murals, gold plating, hydros, i wouldn't be cought dead in or anywhere near something like that!!! Even us youngster have some sense of style.

Yeah i have some huge plans for this car, now don't you have some inovative ideas for your you dieing to do? Well i got some money and some time and decided to spend on something worth wild, a 1st gen camaro. I have everything gutted and ready to start ordering and working on it but just looking for some advice and i think all of you for it!!!

About no being able to use the headlights on an R/S. I don't see why not, there is always a way around something.... why not some electrical motors instead of the vacume ones?? wouldn't that work??

As for the AC controls, if i had a late model AC compressor and what not would that make it easier?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 01, 03:41 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Matt, it is good to see younger people getting into the older cars still. (not that I'm old myself, only 28) This "euro" thing is getting way out of hand!! Check my above reply for a link to vintage air, they might have something you like for the a/c-heat control panel.
As for RS headlights, I think it would be easier for you to use a setup for a '67 as it uses electric motors (I'm converting my non RS '68 to run '67 RS lights for that reason) If your '67 is an original RS then you don't need to worry about it. The '68-'69 system was vacuum actuated and would probably be more of a headache. If you are converting a non RS car and don't have the parts yet I think I would get the '67 stuff-if you already have '68 parts, give it a try you might be able to make something work!! The original headlight switch required for the '68-'69 RS is different than for '67 because of the differences in the systems. Just my opinion, for whatever that is worth.

Also, if you haven't already done so, check out www.detroitspeed.com Go to the Twister Camaro, select the construction link to see how they worked out the dash as well as other aspects of the car.
------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu

[This message has been edited by bretcopsey (edited 01-18-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode