Fuel Gauge Not Working - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 04, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
CB
Tech Team

The fuel gauge doesn't work in my '69 Firebird, and was wondering where to start troubleshooting. How can I tell if it's the sender, gauge, or wiring? Thanks!

1999 GMC Sierra Z71, recently 'detailed'<br /><br />1969 Pontiac Firebird, 350, 3 spd auto, stock<br />Decided to start fixing her up<br /><br />2004 Firecat F6 EFI Sno-Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 04, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

If the bird stuff is the same as the camaro stuff.....

The sender (in the tank) is a variable resister (something like 0-90 ohms??). The sender is also grounded with a wire.

There is a wire that goes from the sender up to the gauge.

There is the gauge itself. Check that thing out and make sure it's connected properly.

If you do that stuff it should help you narrow it down.

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 04, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
CB
Tech Team

I don't see why it would be different between the two, that's why I posted here. How can I tell if the gauge is crapped out?

1999 GMC Sierra Z71, recently 'detailed'<br /><br />1969 Pontiac Firebird, 350, 3 spd auto, stock<br />Decided to start fixing her up<br /><br />2004 Firecat F6 EFI Sno-Pro

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 04, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

You would have to be able to hook the gauge up to a known good sendor or a variable resister and change the resistance to see if the gauge moves.

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 04, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech
Zach

try this out, firebird should be the same as the camaro. i had a bad sender ground, ended up just changing the sender since it was in pretty bad shape.
http://members.core.com/~faldrich/fuelgage.htm

69 Camaro - LeMans blue w/ black vinyl top - 350/TH350
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 04, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

CB, what is the fuel gauge indicating? does it stay below E or is it way past full?

1967 rs conv. hugger orange, 350 engine, former turbo 350 tranny-now SUPER T-10!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 blue SS 'vert, 350 engine, 4 spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 04, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
CB
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally posted by camarorsconv:
CB, what is the fuel gauge indicating? does it stay below E or is it way past full?
It's sitting at about 1/8 or a little more, so I'm assuming it might be the gauge. The tank is bone dry right now, so I might drop the tank tomorrow and try to remove the sender...I've been working on the front end the last few days. Can I spin the nut retaining the sender on with a punch and hammer, or will I require a special tool?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 04, 04:34 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

[/QUOTE] Can I spin the nut retaining the sender on with a punch and hammer, or will I require a special tool? [/QB][/QUOTE]

I used a screwdriver and a hammer to tap on the lock ring to get it off. I also had to tap on one side then the opposite side and it was not the best fit.
If you do think it is the sending unit or the ground, look at the picture I had of my sending unit.
I had a bad ground crimp on connection for the ground and then also the connection between the flat cable and the through pin on the top circle of the sending unit where the wire to the gauge would plug onto.
I put a new crimp on terminal on the wire end and then soldered it and also soldered the pin connection to the flat cable after cleaning off all of the corrosion.
Jim
Possible Bad Sending Unit Connections

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 04, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
CB
Tech Team

Well, dropped the tank, measured the resistance, 1.6 ohms dry, added some gas from a jerry can, and was 12 ohms, so fuel sender seems to work. How many wires run to the connector that's supposed to be above the parking brake? I want to measure the resistance at the tan wire there, but there are a few connectors. The wiring could really be cleaned up on this car......

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 02:57 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

CB,

It sounds like it's your gauge. If you had a bad ground, the gauge would either be inconsistent or be pegged way past Full.

As another check, I dropped the gas tank enough to be able to see into it. I used a wire to move the sending unit up and down. Obviously, you don't want to stick anything in the gas tank that potentially will cause a spark. If the gauge doesn't correspond to the movement of the sending unit, then it's probably your gauge.

1967 rs conv. hugger orange, 350 engine, former turbo 350 tranny-now SUPER T-10!!

1969 blue SS 'vert, 350 engine, 4 spd

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 03:39 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
CB, sorry to hop on your post.

SOA-Nova , What if the guage is very eratic,1/4 tank on guage is empty one time,another time goes to empty, never seen it say full untill disconected ground&lt;?&gt; wire, way past full mark.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode