temp gauge - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 01, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I hope someone else has run into this problem and solved it . I have a 69 Camaro SS Conv. 350 eng. recently restord . During resoration it was nessary to replace the temp gauge in the console . The guage Has never worked .(GM guage from restoration supplier) I am on my 2nd guage and about my 15th sending unit , the wiring has been changed, the head is clean , the grounds are OK , the guage pins on Hot when the wire is grounded . I can make the guage work with variable resistance test equipment . the problem seems to be a compatability problem between the guage and the sender . The sending units (old/new/GM/aftermarket ) seem to be working in the 520-560 ohm range (cold) and work thier way down to the 120-170 ohm range (operating temp) , the guages however seem to be working in the 130-140 ohm range (cold) to the 30-40 ohm range (operating temp) ,so you can see that the senders never get low enough to operate the guage .I can't lower resistance without enlarging the wire so I need a sending unit that works in the lower range or a guage that works in the higher range . do these items exist and if so were can I get them ? STUMPED! in NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 06:48 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I dont know if I can solve your problem,But I can tel you what worked for me. I put console guages in my 69. Bought used from Camaro specialty in New York. The sold me the correct sending unit with the guages, and its worked great. and further I did an engine swap and the new vortec heads have a smaller 3/8 pipe hole in the head and the correct sender for the guages is 1/2 pipe. Went to the dealer and got a sender they said would work and fit in a late model head. No temp indication. Wasted 30 bucks. I now have the correct sender in the water pump, i'm not running a heater. But i've never had a problem using the parts I got from Camaro specality. Used on 2 different motors, both the same. good luck.

------------------
Black 69 camaro
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech

Be carefull not to use too much teflon tape when installing the sending unit. Too much tape will affect how it works greatly.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 01, 06:12 PM
Team Member

The only thought I have is the resistor on the gage. Is it missing, blown, wrong?
I don't knoe if it is the problem.. Just a thought
TTFN
Mat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode