Voltage Regulator or Starter or ???? please help! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 01, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Went outside, beautiful day, thought I should take the 67 for a cruise. Went to start it and nothing! Since I bought the car, the generator light does go on at startup and dims but stays on during driving. I replaced the alternator and battery just after purchasing the car. I check the battery and it is strong as can be. This leads me to the starter. I did find it odd that when I try to start it I don't even get a click or anything, it is just dead. I suspect the voltage regulator is very old but could this cause the car to not even click or turn over? Could it just be a dead starter or solenoid? The wiring seems to be in good shape. Anyone's advice or input is greatly appreciated. There is nothing like an electrical problem to drive a man crazy!!!!

Thanks anyone!

Leftcoast

------------------
'67 Camaro 327
Edelbrock intake & carb, dynomax headers & exhaust, TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 01, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

You can test your starter if you have a remote starter switch or a good screw driver... Use a multi-meter to see if you have 12 volts at solenoid in the crank position ... I have seen the gen light stay one when guys have switched from an external voltage regulator to alternator with internal regulator ... which do you have ?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 01, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks,

I have the external voltage regulator. I have not switched to the internal alt. kind. Does Sears sell Multi meters to check voltage? I could use one of those... I am going to replace the voltage regulator and check the voltage at starter. How do u use a screw driver to check like you mentioned?

thanks for your help

Leftcoast

------------------
'67 Camaro 327

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 01, 03:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Yes, Sears or Radio Shack sell them. A good addition to your tool kit.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 01, 04:54 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

While at Sears go ahead and get the remote starter switch also ... it will allow you to crank engine as you move around or away from the engine compartment.

The screw driver trick is simply laying a screwdriver across the + wire from battery ( at the solenoid, of course ) and contacting the switched wire ... basically completing the circuit without running thru ignition switch ... this will bump the starter. If the ignition switch is in the on position when you do this, the car may start and continue to run ... If the ignition is in the off position, the engine will bump and stop once the screwdriver is removed...Now, this does cause sparks...that's why the remote starter switch is better and safer ...with the remote switch you can stand clear and bump it...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 01, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Cool guys, thanks for the tip. I will get those items for sure.

If I don't get juice at the starter, that still doesn't tell me much, or does it? There is a little relay or something mounted underneath the external voltage regulator that is extremely rusted and old. Could that relay's rusty connections be the cause?

You guys are a great help

Leftcoast

------------------
'67 Camaro 327
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 01, 09:31 PM
Senior Tech

Hehehehe... this sounds all to famillar The box underneath the voltage regulator is the horn relay. It could be part of your problem, however not all of it. Unless your battery is dead. My GEN light was coming on until I replaced both the horn relay and the voltage regulator. If I just did one (either one) it still came on and dimmed until I reved up the engine. I would go down to Kragen (or any other parts store) and replace both of them. I paid $35 total for both the voltage regulator and the horn relay.

I'm still concerned as to why it's not starting, but either way... it's a good place to start especially if your's is all rusted and such.

If you don't mind, could you check for a pink with a black stripe wire arround your voltage regualtor / horn relay? The guy before me had mine in a fine mess and it took me hours to figure it out, but I still have that pink with a black stripe wire and I don't know exactly where it goes. I was supecting the horn relay... but I'm not sure. And the good ole' 68 wiring diagram isn't my best friend

Good luck and thanks!

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver
http://68.dhs.org
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 01, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ohayden,

Sure, I will check that wire and see where it goes and get back to you. My horn relay is extremely rusted. The battery is fine. I haven't tried to remote start her yet (work) so I dont know if the starter solenoid is bad yet.

Thanks for the post, your input has helped a ton!

Leftcoast

------------------
'67 Camaro 327
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 01, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Pink with Black Stripe #20 gauge wire goes to the #4 terminal on the Horn Relay. This is a wire with a female spade connector that is the closest one to the two terminals with screws on them. It's part of the Key Buzzer circuit.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 01, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

Mark C, thanks! That's where I thought it went but here's the trick. When I hook it up, it immediately starts to "buzz". The car doors are closed and the key is not in the ignition. Also the GEN stays on even when the car is off. Now, when I put the key to start, it still buzzes until I put it to the accessory position. Any ideas to what is making it do this?

I was looking at the wiring diagram is the pink with a black strip the #20 P,DBL/B?

It also shows a #20 OR with a connection to a #14 B/W, I don't see where this hooks up nor do I have that wire. Is this a problem?

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 01, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Abbreviation is 20 P/B.

The 20 OR is a 20 gauge (small) Orange wire that is the 12 Volt power to the #3 terminal on the Voltage regulator from the battery. That wire is part of the cicuit that feeds the GEN light on the dash. You can jumper it to one of the terminals with a screw (both screws are mounted on a common terminal) on the horn relay regulator. The 14 Black with White stripe is the wire that runs to the Ammeter on the console. (You do have the U17 gauge option don't you) It also gets terminated on one of the terminals with a screw on the horn relay.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

Okay... no matter what I try the GEN light stays on even when the power is off. It initally buzzes until I go to the accessory position, then it turns off until I start and shut off the car. If I go to the accessory position and then stop, it stops buzzing. But no matter what, the GEN light stays on.

Here is a picture of the horn relay and how I hooked up the wires, it this correct?

What voltage readings should I get from each wire?

Thanks!

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver

[This message has been edited by ohayden (edited 08-01-2001).]
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 01, 05:17 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

The Generator light can not stay on with the key in the OFF position. The connection to the Horn relay and voltage regulator runs thru a switch in the ignition switch. Sounds like you ignition switch wiring is hosed up. Is this a stock harness or one of the Painless systems? I've heard of some people have had problems with the Painless systems on both the ignition switch and healight switch having wires swapped in the terminals at the switchs on 67 and 68 harnesses.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 01, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

Hmmmm... It's the stock wiring harness (not the painless), but I've seen a few other areas where one of the previous owners had wires on wrong. This will be the 3rd area that I've found. So, this wouldn't shock me. I'll look at my ignition tonight. Arrgh, and I thought I had all my eletrical problems solved Once I track this one down, I should be done. Thanks for the help Mark C! I'll post tonight my findings.

Leftcoast07, how's it going?

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 01, 11:29 AM

Smile

Hey leftcoast,

I know this may be too easy a fix, but
I had a similar problem once, car would not start, completely dead, turned out to be the positive battery cable. Cable looked fine, but something was wrong inside of the insulation. A friend told me to use a multi-meter from battery to starter with key in ON position to check it out. Replaced the cable and problem was solved.
Just another idea, hope this helps.

------------------
1969 red Z/28
1971 red Nova SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode