Wiring Problems with Painless? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 01, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

I'm looking for any specific problems people have had when installing a Painless wiring harness in their Camaro.

I am getting ready to purchase one and want to know what I am getting into.

How hard and how much work does it require to make these kits work with all of the Camaros wiring, etc? Do you need to buy anything additional, other than the harness?

I plan on purchasing the Universal 18 circuit kit.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 01, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech

i installed the kit on my 69. If you know basic wireing you'll be ok. Buy the kit made for your car and it's a direct bolt in minus the grounds....if you have problems painless will help you if you call them
good luck
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 01, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

I have a 1990's small block(350) in my car and I plan on some other non-stock items....do you still think that the one made for the Camaro is the way to go and offers enough flexibility in adding my non-stock items?

Is teh Universal kit "that" much more work to use?

Thanks!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 01, 05:59 PM
Senior Tech

scalise
Contact M&H Fabricaters http://www.wiringharness.com . They make excellent harnesses and will modify one to accept late model upgrades, IE HEI, internal regulated alternator.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
68 Camaro
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

rick or others,

What is the difference between the universal kits and the ones made for a particular car?

Is it the connectors at the end of the wires?
And if so, the connectors aren't really needed are they because you can just splice/connect the wires together without them?

Correct me if I'm wrong, please, because I am trying to figure all this mess out before I start!

Thanks,
Steve
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech

the kit for you car bolts in the the firewall like a stock panel....it's worth it...it has 18 circuts...call painless and ask them the diffenence, i'm not sure
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 02:35 PM
Senior Tech

steve
I believe that you are right. The universal harnesses will probably need to have an end connection made. Either by splicing or adding a correct connector.
I would stay away from excessive splicing - AT ALL COSTS. Splices are trouble waiting to happen. And especially if you need to do an entire car. Some circuits are more critical than others and any excess resistance will cause trouble. With that many connections you will make a mistake that you will need to track down later. Or one will come loose at the most inconvenient time.
Call painless and ask them if you do need to make the end connections. I have worked with wiring for over 30 years and splices cause many many problems.
rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode