68 Extremely Dim gauge lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 04, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Someone told me that the Tail lights are on the same circuit, but my tail lights work like they are brand new. Can anyone give me the first steps to sorting out why I almost have no light behing my dash and console gauges?

Thanks in advance.

J [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 04, 07:20 AM
Senior Tech
John

There is a rheostat in the light switch that controls the brightness of the dash lights. Have you tried turning the light switch knob?

John
'67 SS/RS (RR)
'68 RS conv. (J2)
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'68 Drag Car(ZZ) 11.30 @ 118
'73 Corvette Drag Car 12.64 @ 106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 04, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Yes, maybe I should have been more clear. What steps can I take to fix this other then checking normal day to day operations.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 04, 03:10 PM
Senior Tech

The tail and dash lights may be fed from the same power circuit, I'm not sure, but they have seperate fuses. Your loosing power as heat somewhere in a bad connection. Check the guage fuse (small fuse at the bottom I believe). Measure voltage between the end of the fuse and it's respective clip on both ends. You should see 0.01 or less drop with the lights on. Fuse clips are notorious for corrosion in which case I'd expect you see a volt or two being dropped accross the bad connection. You may also find that the fuse clips are warm to the touch. You can use this same voltage drop test throughout the circuit to find where the bad connection is. Don't overlook the bulb sockets themselves. They have brass tabs on them that will corrode and the copper foil they ride against will tarnish. Take a little scotch-brite or 400 grit sandpaper to scuff them up and dope them with dielectric grease before installing them again. The grease will minimize the chances of it happening again and make the bulbs go in easier. 30 years of corrosion will make those bulbs stick hard enough to make you worry taking them out. Feels like they will break in your hand. Once greased they'll work like new again and may fix your dimness problem. Do the same with the instrument panel connector - scuff the tabs and the foil traces the contact. Then dope them with the dialectric grease.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 04, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Angry

Thanks Dave!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode