My starter works when cold then mybe - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 01, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

68 camaro starts fine but when i drive for a few min. the srter hardly turns the engine over. Should I replace the starter. I got headers, I think the starter is cooked. ss 396
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 01, 06:14 AM
Tech Team

Yep, your starter is going... Replace the starter solenoid, with a relocation kits that moves the solenoid from the starter (solenoids hate heat) to the wheelwell..
Headers kill the solenoids.. Also try wraping your headers with some Header insulation (just around the starter area)

------------------
Black 67 Camaro
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 01, 09:03 AM

Heat soak. I fried many starters with my headers. Usually buy Napa starters, they burn out just before the warranty is off. After replacing a couple starters I tried a heat shield between the starter and header and have had no such problems anymore.

------------------

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 01, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech

I had the same problem with mine. I replaced the starter with a high torq mini-starter three years ago and even with unwrapped headers, no heat shielding, have not had a problem since. People have asked on other threads who makes a good one. I do not know who made mine. Receipt says: 3HP Starter MFR-Part Number: MIS-9200-168 I am not sure if the others are burning up mini-starters or regular sized starters from NAPA, but could solve their problem too. Only draw back is its more expensive. Advancement always seems to comes at a cost!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 01, 02:59 AM
Tech Team

I had the same problem on a 68 w/ 350 and headers. I installed a remote solenoid and it took care of the problem. Jegs sells a kit for about $25.

Roy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 01, 03:43 AM
Tech Team

I had the same problem on my '68 Camaro. I installed a higher torque starter with a heat shield and I have had no more problems. Hope this helps.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 01, 01:31 PM
Senior Tech

There was a suggestion some time ago about rigging up a kill switch to the coil that allows the engine to turn over a few times without coil spark & hence compression - said to be good when hard starts due to heat

i plan to give it a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode