Column Harness Connectors Don't Match - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 05, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

Lightbulb

I am preparing to install a GM tilt column into my '68 camaro. The column was purchased from Rick's and has the curved electrical connector. The non-tilt column that I removed from the car has the flat connectors on the harness. Rick's told me that the flat connectors were ONLY used on '69 camaros and that it sounds like someone changed the column and electrical harness in my car to that from a 1969?? I find that hard to believe but not impossible. When I removed the non-tilt I did not see anything that would indicate that this was not an original installation. Anyway, I am looking for help on how to get around this connector problem-easily. I have been wondering if I could get my hands on a curved connector to mate to the column connector that I could just unpin the flat connector and pin the wires to a curved connector?? Sounds too easy! I believe there is an extra wire in the flat connector and the column connector has 8 wires (if my memory serves me correct). Where can I get just a curved connector to mate to the column connector? Rick's told me that ALL '68's had the curved connectors. Thanks and I appreciate any and all feedback on this!

1968 Deluxe Coupe Camaro
Original 327
1984 IROC 700R4 Transmission
12 Bolt 3:55 Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 05, 05:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

don't have a spare connector, but my non-tilt 68 has the curved connector.

I don't see how you could have a 69 wiring, completely different because of the ignition lock stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 05, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech
Charles

call rick's again or go to firstgen.com and look for part # 70360. it is called "67-68 turn signal switch adapter" $16.95 (adapter harness 8/9 pin).

one end is curved and the other is flat.

i don't know a thing about 67-68, but remembered seeing this conversion harness since i have almost memorized rick's catalog. hope this helps.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 05, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech

The tilt I have in my 67 is from a 68 bird. It has the curved connector. Someone may have used a 69 turn signal switch and connector in yours.

Ron
The

An exercise in interchangeability on a Well optioned 67 SS 350 vert.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 05, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

I think Delco replacement turn signal switches come that way. You get the adapter harness in the box too.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 05, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

Anyway to get the curved connector by itself?

1968 Deluxe Coupe Camaro
Original 327
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 05, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech
Charles

might try www.americanautowire.com (factory fit) and talk to them. i needed a new fuse block for my 69 and they sold me one seperate, although they said they usually sell the entire underdash harness. they also wanted me to send in my harness to install the new block. i understood why when i destroyed my old block taking the fuse clips out. but the clips just clicked into the new one.

looks like they're upgrading their website and it's only partially there for now. but the contact link works and they have phone numbers and e-mail addy's listed.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 05, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

thanks run269!

1968 Deluxe Coupe Camaro
Original 327
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 05, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech
Charles

you're welcome.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode