Painless Kit - Marker/Parking Light Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 03, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just installed a Painless wiring kit on my 69 and have a problem with my marker/parking lights. When I pull the light switch one click the parking lights and marker lights go on. When I pull the light switch all the way the headlights come on but parking/marker lights go out. I read several other posts with this same problem but here is my question. If I tie the marker/parking lights to the headlight switch won't the headlights come on with the light switch pulled out one click? Is this a problem with the painless kit?

Thanks in advance,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
350, TKO 5-speed, Moser 12 bolt - 3.73, not as many parts in boxes as before...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 06:40 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Unhappy

I wish I could help you, but, I am not well versed in electrical (I taught Tim Taylor). I am interested in how your installation was with the Painless system, how well the fuse box fit the original location, instructions, terminal ends, etc. I was at a friends and he was installing one in a modified 62 Impala and I started thinking (I should'nt do that).

Daddy's Hot Rod.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech
Ray

I don't know if your 69 is different, but on my 68 there are two outputs for marker/parking lights from the switch. The Painless kit used one for the rear, which was on at both positions, and the other was used for the front which was only on in the first switch position and went off when the headlights were on.

Sounds like the 69 harness is using this output for both front and rear. (Unless the switch is totally different from my 68.) I changed my painless harness to have both front and rear lights hook to the same output that is on in both postions.

Ray
www.geocities.com/hrayhouston

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 03, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I ordered a new switch and will trace the front wires and rear wires to see if I can figure it out. Overall the painless kit was a piece of cake to install. The fuse block fit fine and I like the modern fuses. It took me a while to figure out how to neatly route the the wires up front and in the trunk since I had to make up my own grounds but it turned out pretty good.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 03, 02:47 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I had the same problem with my 68. My Painless manual is #90501 so I don't know if 69 is the same. I wound up jumping wire #929 to #927 behind the headlight switch to get my side lightes to work.
#929 is a brown 14 ga. wire in the Headlight Section "B". It's Wire starting point is Tail Lights and the Section of Starting Point is Tail Section.
#927 is a brown 18 ga. wire in the Headlight Section "B". It's Wire Starting point is Park Lights and the Section of Starting Point is Headlight Section "A". It worked for me so I hope this helps. Good Luck Rhat
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 03, 01:37 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Did you get it to work? Rhat
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 09:03 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by pwoolford:
I ordered a new switch and will trace the front wires and rear wires to see if I can figure it out. Overall the painless kit was a piece of cake to install. The fuse block fit fine and I like the modern fuses. It took me a while to figure out how to neatly route the the wires up front and in the trunk since I had to make up my own grounds but it turned out pretty good.
How much disassembly of your car was necesssary in order to get everything installed?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 03, 04:36 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I did mine before reassembling on a total frame off rebuild. The wiring took about two days to finish, but once everything was up and running it took some time to track down a few gremlins. (some mine, some theirs) Can't imagine it would be too difficult to install on a completed car. It wasn't totally "painless" but just take your time, pay attention to where everything goes, and it should work out OK. Rhat
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 03, 09:15 AM

I recently installed a new Painless harness in my 68 convertible. It took me about a week of working each night after work until dark (no garage right now), but I also soldered and heat-shrinked every connection (not one crimp in the car [img]smile.gif[/img] . I had to remove the door sill and rear seat back to run the wires to the trunk. I also removed the dash pad to run some of the wires right along the top, but that wasn't entirely necessary.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 03, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I started installing this kit when the front clip was off my car. The time consuming part for me was soldering and heat shrinking all my connections at the lights. The dash was pretty simple. I have a dash from Covans and the entire dash connects through two pigtails.
I have not had a chance to find the wire to make my front marker lights work while the headlights are on yet. I got side tracked working on my blinkers because of some cheap parts store junk 1157 bulb sockes. I have tried two different 1157 holders and they don't work well at all. Classic Industries and Ricks are both out of the factory style.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 03, 04:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Unhappy

Quote:
The time consuming part for me was soldering and heat shrinking all my connections at the lights.
Sounds like a pain-in-the-A$$ wiring kit. So what you are saying, if you buy a complete wiring kit from painfull, you have to either solder and heat shrink or else use crimp connectors? Would this be something I would want to order if and want the factory original look?

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode