Another Fuel Gauge problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 03, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey guys,

I have a 69 SS386 Camaro. My fuel gauge is really acting funny. I have gone through pages of posts on this subject and cant seem to find anyone whit the same problem. Lots of fuel gauge problems but not quite the same as mine.

I do not have the sender nor the gauge installed in the car. When I test them I have the gauge pluged in the dash wiring harness and the sender in the trunk pluged into its harness and grounded. When I turn on the key with the float in the empty position the needle on the gauge is at about the 5 O'Clock position. When I move the float to the full position the needle on the gauge moves clockwise to about the 9 O'Clock position. It's as if the needle is pressed on the wrong position. This is a new gauge I just got it in the mail today.

I have bought a new gauge and a new tank sender. I have 12vdc and ground at the gauge. The wire from the gauge to the sender is good. The sender is good because I get between 0 and 90 ohms resistance as I move the float through the arc.

Am I doing something wrong? Can I test the sender and gauge without them installed?

I thought I would move the needle but it don't want to come off and I am scared I will break it and at $160.00 I really don't want to buy another one.

Sorry for the long post but at this point I am at whits end.

Thanks,

Steve

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 03, 04:22 PM

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 03, 11:30 PM
Tech Team

I have a similar problem, I have a new sender and new wiring harness but my gauge is at 2 o'clock when empty and 5 o'clock when full. My guess is the gauge is messed up. Year One sells new gauges or repairs old ones and I just saw a 67 Speedo and Fuel gauge go for $20 on ebay. Which brings up a question. The gauges on ebay were black faced but my 67 gauges are silver faced. Anyone know the difference?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 03, 05:15 AM

The silver face guages are for a 68 Camaro. I think. My 67 RS/SS 350 is all original with 67,000 miles with black gauges.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 03, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

In 68 and 69, the black faced console mounted guages (RPO U17)were used in Novas, the silver faced ones are used in Camaros.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

[This message has been edited by Mark C (edited 01-27-2003).]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 03, 12:43 PM
Senior Tech

I'd try and set it up on the bench with a couple of fixed resistors to simulate the sender. A 45 ohm from the meter sender connection to ground should read mid-tank. A 90 ohm from the meter sender connection to ground should read full. If this a brand new gage, I'd question the supplier after this test.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 03, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Fixed the problem! Since I noticed the needle was exactly 180 degrees out I assumed the needle must have been assembled wrong.

I took the old gauge and using a pair of needle nose I removed the needle just to see if it would come off. It came off pretty easily. So using the same process I removed the needle from the new gauge. I grounded the sender wire and knowing that should make the needle point to empty. At this point I placed the needle back on the shaft and when I replaced the sender wire it went to 3/4. I grounded the sender to gauge wire the needle went to empty again.

Thanks for all the help!

Steve
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 03, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like you got if fixed. However, why not place 90ohms accross it, as John recommended, and see if you get a full tank.

-dnult
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode