Regulator question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Cool

I just did a search but couldnt find a difinitive answer so here goes...

When I install my one wire alternator I understand I need to run a #10 wire from the back of the alt to the battery, but what do I do with the old regulator and wires? Which ones do I need to jump if any? Thanx, Sean

Yes is is internaly regulated.

[This message has been edited by SAyers69 (edited 07-12-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 02:26 PM
AJ
Tech Team

Sean, do you mean an internally-regulated alternator? If so, I just did one on my '69.
Just hooked up the #10 wire to the bat terminal on the new alt and then jumped to the #2 terminal. Don't know if the "jumper" to the #2 terminal is necessary but it worked and worked REALLY well.
Everything else was left untouched; looks pretty much stock, everything in it's normal location.
Again, I'm not sure if the "jumper" to #2 is needed. I'm sure someone here will set both of us staight.
Definitely helps with flickering lights and low voltage in the ignition circut.
AJ
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 00, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Are you talking about the number 2 wire on the old regulator harness?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 00, 02:46 PM
AJ
Tech Team

No. The #2 terminal on the alternator.
I got really disappointed when I first fired mine up; no voltage. When the rpm's got to 1100, the alt kicked in.... 14 vlts.
Made a real differance.
AJ
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 00, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Cool

O.K. I never even saw the terminal on top of the new alternator, DUH!

So lets see if I understand...Run the 10 gauge wire from the + bat. terminal to the back of the alternator, then jump from there to the #2 terminal on the top of the alternator, correct?

What did you do with the old wires for the alternator and for the voltage regulator.

Thanks for all your help. Sean
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 00, 05:23 PM
AJ
Tech Team

I used the original alt wire (red, approx 10 G), left everything else intact to the voltage reg. I guess that you could take the wires out of the harness to clean up the core support where the v reg was but I just left mine for the "stock" look. Also, kinda lazy.
After all, SUMMERS ARE FOR CRUSIN'".
AJ
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 00, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Cool

AJ, Thanx for all your help. I am going to finish up the engine compartment wiring tomorrow.

My initial confusion was because I thought that a 1 wire alt. was the same as a late model internally regulated alt. wrong!!!

I will run the wire from the batt terminal on the alt. to the #2 term also, because I read somewhere that it helps prevent flickering lights.

Again thanx for the help. Sean
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 04:18 AM
Guess

AJ,

I'm doing the same upgrade. I understand how you do this except one thing isn't clear to me.

"I used the original alt wire (red, approx 10 G), left everything else intact to the voltage reg. I guess that you could take the wires out of the harness to clean up the core support where the v reg was but I just left mine for the "stock" look. Also, kinda lazy.
After all, SUMMERS ARE FOR CRUSIN'".
AJ"

Did you mean that you took the original red alt. wire out of the connector that plugs into the regulator, keeping it part of the harness, and just run it to the + on the alternator instead? Or did you cut this wire out of the regulator harness to use because it's the correct gauge wire?
I'll do the jumper to on the alternator also.

Thanks!

------------------
Joe
[email protected]
'97 Blazer
'69 former basket-case
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 01, 04:34 AM
Senior Tech

The one wire alternators have to reach a certain RPM before they start to charge the battery which is determined by the pulley size. The larger the pulley the higher the RPM. This is due to only having the one wire and not being able to sense a voltage drop, so a quick rev and she's charging away.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode