Gen light on. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 00, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Well, just as I got my RS lights to work on my '67, the generator light is now on all of a sudden. Its real as the voltage across my battery seems to be falling.

I checked the voltage at the regulator(the red wire) and it is the same as the battery voltage. Would that indicate a failed alternator?

I also looked at the voltage regulator while the car was running and I didn't see it responding. I'm assuming that if there is no current from the AC generator, then it won't regulate. Right?

Any other advice? Am I off base? Its funny cause the alternator and voltage regulator are relatively new.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Scooby Doo (edited 10-19-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 00, 04:13 AM
Senior Tech

The red wire is from the battery and would not cause this problem. An easy way to check the alt. is to start the car and put a volt meter across the battery with the car running. You should see 13.5-15.5 V DC if the alt is working properly.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 00, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Thats what I did.

I was looking more for a way to determine whether it was the alternator or the voltage regulator.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Scooby Doo (edited 10-20-2000).]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 00, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Problem solved. Replaced the alternator, pulling 14 volts now.

Dave
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 00, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Well... solved so I thought. This morning the wife and I wanted to go driving and the 'ol familar gen light came back on. I checked the voltage and was amazed to see nearly 20 volts across the battery! At the alternator it was 23 volts!

Figuring the voltage regulator had an ego problem, I ran to the parts store and replaced it. Checked the voltage and pulling 12-13 volts while running but that light is still on. Went for a quick spin after connecting up a voltmeter gauge. Car is holding 12 volts when idling but gets up to 14 volts while the car is under load. All this time, the generator light is on.

I'll check the grounding but I'm pretty sure the voltage regulator is grounded well. Why is my light staying on? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 00, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Man, ever feel like a dog chasing its tail?

Replaced my alternator again and it brought the voltage back to 14. Generator light is out. The current seemed awfully unsteady, turns out the voltage regulator was bad too. Yeah, the new one I got today!! Replaced that and now I'm back to 12 volts. Aargh. Inspected my wiring arount the VR and looked like one wire was coming apart. Spliced it. Also noticed that my gen light doesn't come on when turn the car on just before starting it. Huh.

Well, I left the parts store still unresolved and looked down at the voltmeter as I was heading to the house and lo and behold 14 volts holding steady, even at idle. I'm thinking I've got it licked but I'm still wondering shouldn't I get the gen light on as I turn the car off and right before I start it??

Any thoughts? Anyone? Did I mention my RS lights work? <laugh>

Dave
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 00, 03:58 PM

Hay scoob!
i seen your problem more times than i can count.it is chronic to pre 1970 gm cars
dont live in the past ! get rid of the ext reg ,get a later model alt and forget about it.
if you need help with the simple re-wiring,e-mail me for instructions...........joe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode