? about lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

I have a 67 that has one headlight that is dim. I just changed the light thinking that would fix it, but it still shines dim. The connector seems loose compared to the other side. Could this be the problem?
Todd

Bolero Red/Black 67 rs/ss, 350 4-sp, Deluxe interior, slowly becoming a restomod
Aqua blue/White 77 LT Type, Built 305 auto, in the restomod process, wife's car since high school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 04:17 AM
Retired
Jim

Old cars like ours are notorious for that. I had one weak light too. Remove the light again, get your WD40 and fine grit sandpaper and go after the plug with a tiny screwdriver wrapped with the sandpaper. That brass builds up a film of sorts that doesnt allow full contact hence, dim light. Sort of polish up both sides of all the brass terminals. Also check that wiring as far as you can see for nicks that might be grounding on a frame part. Betting you get real bright after that, dont forget to do the other side too, it might be on the brink of going dim too.
Let us know how it goes.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Thanks Jim, I'll work on that tonight. Could this same corrosion problem be the reason why I have no back lights at all? No tail lights, brake lights, backup lights? I had suspected mice had eaten through wires someplace, but I've pulled the interior apart and can't find any severed wires. I did find several nasty mice nests though. Whew, I hope I can get rid of the odor. Car has set for 15 years without being driven. I'm trying to work out all the gremlins.

Todd

Bolero Red/Black 67 rs/ss, 350 4-sp, Deluxe interior, slowly becoming a restomod
Aqua blue/White 77 LT Type, Built 305 auto, in the restomod process, wife's car since high school.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 10:25 AM

If the whole rear light harness isn't working it could just be a ground problem. It the contact at the ground has rusted, it may not be making a connection. Use a multimeter to check the integrity of the wiring.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 10:39 AM
Retired
Jim

Yep what he said [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Most probably ground or broken wire. Check the coupling connection over the drivers side rear wheel hump. That connector can also get crudy. Refresh the ground wire area under the trunk hood latch. They used a screw into that area for grounding. Bare the metal there and use a star type washer to 'grip' the steel when you tighten the screw down. Also check the fuses but guessing you did that already. Darn mice can short wires out thats for sure.
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 03, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Thanks guys. Fixing electrical is definately on the agenda for this evening. Man, this forum is great!
Todd [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 03, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Didn't get as much time as I would have liked to work on things last night. I searched for a ground on the the back wiring loom and didn't see anything around the the trunk latch area like you had mentioned, click. My assembly manual doesn't show a seperate ground back there, either. I put a multimeter on all the sockets and made sure I had a good ground and I got no reading anywhere. That's about as far as I got. Hopefully tonight, I'll get a chance to delv in a little deeper.

Todd

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 03, 04:55 AM
Senior Tech

On my 69 camaro the ground breaks away from the wiring loom near the 'latch panel' passenger side leg, then about 3 inches of wire (18 gauge it looks like) runs to a small sheetmetal screw into the middle of the latch leg (passenger side).
So looking at the latch assembly, its like a BIG M with, so each leg goes either either side of the filler neck hump. Thus I am talking about it screwing into a hole on the passenger side leg of that latch assembly.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 03, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Hi Brian,

I carefully looked for that ground wire last night and didn't see it. I'm wondering if this isn't specific to the 69 model. My 67 assembly manual doesn't show a ground back there either. There wasn't a connector over the drivers side rear wheel hump as click mentioned earlier. It had a T for the rear sail panel courtesy lights, but no loom connector.

Todd

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 03, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech

As a test, take a piece of wire, touch (hold) one end to the battery (-) terminal. Touch the other end to the bulb ground pin. See if the dim light gets brighter. If it does, it's related to the ground. If it doesn't it's not a problem with the ground.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 03, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
The headlights are a different type of system which have an actual ground wire that is attached on the backside of the radiator support. Black wire from the headlight socket. If they are inhibited by paint or rust they will give this condition. I had that same problem on the passenger side, right behind the battary. Had some corrosion from the battary acid. Had a bad ground, had to replace the last few inches of the wire.
Rear light harness on my 67 is grounded by contact on the tail light sockets. Emory cloth works good around the contact areas of the sockets in the tailight assembly and on the contact points on the sockets.
If you pull the socket from the tailight assembly the light will go dim. If you pull all the sockets from the assemblies they will all go out.
Check those grounding points and get the rust and paint removed and I think you will be in business.

Tim

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 03, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

sixtsevnssrs,
You hit the nail right on the head. I've just got a simple cas of rust and corrosion. Cleaned up those edges on the lamp housings and what do you know, I've got tailights. Got the headlights and front running lights working too. Oh...what a feeling. Time for a beer. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Thanks everyone.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 03, 07:01 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
Angry

Sweet! Nothing like vision! I need a beer too!

Tim

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 03, 05:31 AM
Retired
Jim

Got my elec issues resolved now too, aint it fun when it finally works? congrats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode