alternator fixed - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Cool

I recently logged on for a problem with a one wire alt. conversion on a '68 Camaro. It wasn't charging and the advice I got was to run a jumper wire from #2 field term.on back of alt to pos. post on batt. if my alt. was stock from a parts store. After doing so the alt. fried overnight just sitting in the car and killed the battery past taking a charge. However the local battery and alt. shop told me the alt. needed to be wired a certain way internally (self exciting) to work as a true one wire alt. I'm not complaining!! All help is appreciated. For the simple sake of knowledge so no one else makes the same mistake, I'm sharing the experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 07:14 PM

I've done over 300 of the outside single wire/jumper setups, same info I sent you, and have NEVER had a problem doing so, NEVER.

There are only two regulators for 12SI alternator, external excited and internal excited. The stock GM alternator wiring looms take the large battery lead to the batt term on the rear of the alternator, and from there, to the number 2 terminal. STOCK. This is all you need to make the 12SI externally excited alternators work.

Internal excited regulators are used on farm and industrial alternators, and by some aftermarket sources as a "single wire performance" setup. It does not make one bit of difference if the regulator is externally excited with a jumper wire, ro the internally excited regulator is installed, both need the same power from the batt term. Same-same.

The page I sent you has been inserted into all the set up info for my small body HEI distributors for over 5 years, and I have never heard of any of my customers who used the jumper wire from batt to term 2 have problems, unless there was a defect in the alternator to begin with.

I have four friends who have a street rod building business, best in the L.A. area, and they install the 12SI alternators exactly as I stated you should. batt to term 2, and they don't have problems on any system, new or in-service, they build or convert.

What it sounds like is the electrical shop you visited saw you coming, and has not told you the alternator had intermal problems to cause the battery to fail. Possibly either a diode in the diode bridge or the backfeed diode package was defective and allowed a controlled, partial dead short drain of the battery, this has happened in both type regulator 12SIs before.

Sorry, I am not buying your electrical shop story, as there have been no problems doing it the way I stated, on numerous vehicles, GM, Ford, AMC and Mopar.

Look on a stock GM wiring loom diagram and you will see that the batt term on the alternator is connected to the number 2 term, on all 12SI alts, no exceptions. Makes me know for certain that info isn't wrong or mis-leading. Not a chance.

I, too, do automotive electrical work for a living. Alternators, starter bypasses and small-body HEIs.

BTW, wiring it "a special way internally' is same-same as making the batt to term 2 outside jumper, just done inside the alternator. No difference.

Anybody wants a copy of the page I send, post your e/mail address here and I'll send it to you, you can compare it with stock GM wiring diagrams for yourself.

If you look on this site's sister site, www.chevelles.com you will find tech articles by Wes Vann. He has an alternator changeover page, and he connects the 12SI alternators same as I do. Look for yourselves.

[This message has been edited by IgnitionMan (edited 06-13-2000).]

[This message has been edited by IgnitionMan (edited 06-14-2000).]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 00, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech

Smile

I would like a copy, I have a summit one wire that I want to hook up.

[email protected]

thanks

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 00, 07:27 AM

The Summit one wire alternator already comes with a Chinese version of the internally excited regulator, and doesn't require outside measures to connect.

Just connect the existing large guage wire from either the battery positive terminal or the positive terminal on the starter motor to the batt terminal on the alternator and it is done.

This is the proper way to do the Summit one wire alternator feed (as described in their installation instructions), unless a certain aforementioned dubious automotive electrical shop feels different.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 00, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Hey guys, all I know is that I tried two different alts. and they both got very hot and drained the battery. Without doing anything else I tried the third time(new alt. with higher amp.) without the jumper after the alt . had been converted at the alt .shop and it works perfectly.The alt. is 90 amp for a '80 model Camaro. Ignitionman, I'm positive you know more about alts. than I do, I also found out the hard way what works and what doesn't.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 00, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Ignitionman, I'm interested in that page. Please send it to [email protected] thanks!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 00, 06:15 PM

The method I sent you is the correct method to do the c0onversion, no bull. Sorry if you had problems, I too have them, like 3 brand-new bad MSD 6A units in a row today, but I don't go around telling people "I found out the hard way" for something that really wasn't incorrect to begin with.

I haven't ever had a problem with either Wes' or my correct way of doing it, Don't know what was wrong with yours, but the method and hook-up wasn't your problem.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 00, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Cool

I don't know enough about alts. to say what went wrong. I'm just glad it works now and Im through fussin' 'bout it!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 00, 02:37 PM

If you could send me what you know about changing a 69 camaro from a pont style dist.to a HEI type it would help me alot <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IgnitionMan:
The method I sent you is the correct method to do the c0onversion, no bull. Sorry if you had problems, I too have them, like 3 brand-new bad MSD 6A units in a row today, but I don't go around telling people "I found out the hard way" for something that really wasn't incorrect to begin with.

I haven't ever had a problem with either Wes' or my correct way of doing it, Don't know what was wrong with yours, but the method and hook-up wasn't your problem.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode