Alternator test - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 04, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

ok- finally got car started- now charging system not working. gen light on and battery not charging (v meter on battery during run).

is there any way to test alternator (3 wire) at home? while in the car?

tia

toph
sd,ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 04, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech
Charles

old shade tree mechanic trick is to take a screwdriver and place it at the back of the alt. right in the center. if the alt. is charging there will be a magnetic force "suck" the screwdriver to the alt. i've done this on good alternators but have never had a bad alt. to try it with so i can't be absolutely sure that it is a valid in car test. try it and let us know if it's true or not.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 04, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Other old time trick, though several scoff at it.. start it up. then disconnect the battery.. car dies = bad alternator or regulator.. change alternator and regulator at same time never alone.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 04, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

ok- got the charging working again by removing the ground wire that came off of the v regulator. turns out the ground terminal to the reg shared the post with the brown wire going to dash and gen light.

ok- battery now sees 14.5 volts at ~2500 rpm. 13.8 or so at idle. seems like it's ok.

the old reg didn't have the separate ground strap- used the reg body instead- i surmise.

thanks for the tips and help.

new problem in a new topic.

toph
sd,ca
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 04, 03:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to smottola71
I have a 1969 camaro RS. My generator light remains on at all times, even when the car is running. I suspect it is my alternator that is not charging the battery. Any help ???
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 04, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
look at the previous post to yours and see if its the same thing. If the alt was bad, your battery would die.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode