guage wiring. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 02, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just put in a set of autometer guages and have some questions. My fuel guage doesn't seem to be working right. It reads full and the tank is empty. I am using the stock 92 sending unit and am wondering what kind of voltage I should be getting from the sending unit.
I also put a T56 transmission in and am using the stock T56 speed sending unit to run the autometer speedometer. My directions are showing one of the two wires from the sending unit going to ground and the other going to the speedometer. Does it matter which wire is grounded and which is the signal wire?
THANKS...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 02, 06:57 AM

If it is a stock GM fuel sender, it should measure between 0 and 90 ohms, depending on how full the tank is.

With regards to the speedo, I would say that it does matter which one is ground. I realize I not mush help on this.

Ed
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 02, 04:43 AM

HotRod, CHP and CarCraft have all done recent "how to's" in their mags. Check it out, maybe it will help.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech

First problem-Fuel gauge-it sounds to me like you don't have the signal wire from the tank sending unit reaching the gauge. Or, if the signal wire is present, the ground for the actual gauge may be not connected well.

In regards to the VSS in your T-56, it does not matter which wire you ground. I just researched this last week and it appears that it makes no difference which wire you ground, and which wire you attach to the back of the A/M speedo. The VSS is simply a Hall-Effect switch that completes a circuit thereby generating a "pulse" that the speedo counts and then registers as MPH...

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci., T-56, 12 bolt, Eaton posi, 3.31 gears, 4 wheel disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, console w/AutoMeter gauge package, center mntd. clock, Tach.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

THANKS, That's what I needed to know !!! I have found more wiring problems now to. I have also changed the motor and eliminated the computer so what I need to do is buy a painless wiring harness and clean it all up.
Thanks again for the help...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Go69:
The VSS is simply a Hall-Effect switch that completes a circuit thereby generating a "pulse" that the speedo counts and then registers as MPH...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hall Effect switches are semiconductor devices and definately have bias. In other words I would expect it to work one way and not the other. Possible a circuit conditions the signal, but don't know for sure. Now a magnetic pulse sensor I could believe would not be polar.

-dnult
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech

Dnult,
I would suspect that the VSS is simply a magnetic triggered device inside the tail shaft of the transmission as well. The quote I gave about the Hall-Effect switch is just that, a quote that I received from someone on the thirdgen.org site. I should have simply stated that it is a non-biased device and that either wire can be grounded to keep the confusion down..

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci., T-56, 12 bolt, Eaton posi, 3.31 gears, 4 wheel disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, console w/AutoMeter gauge package, center mntd. clock, Tach.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

At least on machinery- hall effects are 3 wire devices, +,-, and signal which is either a + or - depending on if it's NPN or PNP (sinking or sourcing). If there are only 2 wires, it is likely that it is a magnetic reed switch. Hope that helps- Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode