68 "GEN" light - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hello,
I will post my question here, I posted it in the trouble shooting section, but this seems more appropriate. I can not find the source of my "GEN" light staying on. The alternator has been tested, the regulator has been replaced, and all the wires from the alternator to the regulator, and to the battery have been checked. I get 11.7 volts at the battery, alternator and regulator. I am stumped, any suggestion on where to go from here?

I did disconnect the starter this weekend, but it works fine now. Could I have one of the wires crossed on the starter? I don't see how that would affect the circuit.
Thank you
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 00, 09:22 AM
Senior Tech

this probably isnt it, but the other day I had the excact same issue. everything checked out ok. I previously pulled the voltage regulater off to replace it. well when I replaced it the new one came with little plastic things that went underneath the screws. I followed the instructions and nothing would work right. my GEN light kept coming on. So I ran a voltage test on all and was getting ok results, except on the regulater. turns out that the regulater is grounded to the firewall, and those little plastic things kept if from making contact..+ my alternater belt was loose and slipping...

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 00, 10:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If you only have 11.7 volts with the engine running, your gen light ain't the problem. It's telling you God's truth. You sir, have no functional charging system. If the regulator ground isn't it, it may be a good time to convert it to an internal reg alternator.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 00, 05:19 AM
Senior Tech

when you replaced your regulater did you also replace the little condenser with it, Mine had one, I dont know if they are all the same setup. but external regulaters are a pain in the rear... old technology... but for the vintage restoration its good i guess... usually most automotive stores carry alot of 1 wire alternaters. they are internally regulated and theres only 1 wire... and that goes to the battery junction block.there usually 99 -120 bux, but they are worth it if your brain has had enough on that headache...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 00, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

So far, I have done the following:
1) Had the alternator tested.
2) Replaced the regulator
3) Checked to make sure the regulator is grounded. ( Yes )
4) Checked and corrected the splices if needed on all wires going from the alternator to the regulator and the battery.
5) Checked and made new wires for the terminals on the starter. I have all the wires connected to the right places on the starter.

I think that I am going to buy a new alternator and see if by chance that is it. It just seems weird that after a weekend of working on the car replacing the exhaust, that the GEN light is all of a sudden a problem. It seems like the two should be related in some way. The GEN light was not on before I replaced the exhaust, after it was. The only wires that I can remember messing with are the starter wires.
Rick
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 00, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

11.7 sounds too low. Disconnect the battery and check the voltage by itself. If it is around 12.5, then you have a small short somewhere. If the battery is 11.7, it could have a weak cell ready to die.
What is the voltage with the car running? I should be 13+ (sometimes as high as 15)at idle, unless you are energizing some hefty subwoofer amps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode