headlight doors electrical - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

the headlight doors on a 67 camaro will close
but to open them you have to give them a small push
everthing is brand new we have tried everthing to get them to open when we turn on the lights
any help would be great
arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 05:07 PM

Art -

I got the opposite problem - mine open great - but I have to push them closed.

I haven't played with anything yet - so can anyone help both of us??

Steve
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 05:10 PM
Senior Tech
David

you say everything is new, i assume this includes the limit switches. if not, this could be the problem. check the connections on the top and bottom of the limit switch on the radiator support. check for voltage between the limit switch and the motor (top terminal) i guess it goes without saying that you should check for any mechanical binding. do both do this or just one? classic industries sells a 67-69 rs console gauge & headlight wiring diagram manual that may be helpful, it has the complete 67 rs headlight schematic for the hideaways and troubleshooting

------------------
67 RS
355, SUPER T10 4 SPD
9" FORD

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 24th, 00, 03:44 PM
David Pozzi

Here is the wiring diagram. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...i/67rswire.jpg

I have not had trouble with mine, so I don't have any experience with the system.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 29th, 00, 08:53 PM

How can I narrow down which relay needs to be swapped..... is there easy way to test (continuity? DC voltage?)

Assuming my problem is not limit switch (both doors don't close - assume limit switch only controls one side)

Thanks

Steve
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 00, 05:38 PM
Tech Team

Steve, any luck with repair to close head lamp doors? Reason I'm asking I just finished with replacing my motors, relays, and all bushings. I have same problem doors open but will not close. Thanks Matt 67rs/ss

------------------
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 00, 01:31 PM

Nope - no one posted any suggestions - so I'm going to order a new relay - and replace one see what happens -

if no improvement - I'll put back and try the next one - - - sooner or later I'll find the offending relay (I HOPE!!!)

Any better ideas? they're not that expensive (found $12.50)but I'd hate to spend $36+ to buy three new ones only to find out this didn't fix the problem.

Steve
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 00, 02:14 PM
David Pozzi

The only trouble I've had with my 67 rs is the circut breaker that's mounted near the relays, it wore out. There is just a bi metallic spring inside and I guess from use it wore the points out. Check yours.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 00, 02:10 AM
Tech Team

Steve, Dave I have replaced all 3 relays with NOS from local dealer, and circuit breaker from supply house still not closing with dash switch. The only thing left is micro switch. I'm going to start with the one on radiator support. Which I thing indicates the door is open. Thanks, Matt 67 rs/ss

------------------
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 00, 03:12 AM
Senior Tech

I had the same problem, till I found out that I felt really stupid when I kept turning them on and they would open, just to turn them off and have them stay still, THEN I found out that you need the Key in the "ON" position, not accy, to have them close.

try that.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 00, 06:57 PM
Tech Team

Chris thanks for input. Key in ON postion didn't make any difference. Checked all micro switches for continuity, checked good interupted when button pressed. Nice job on the car to bad about the rot. Thanks, Matt 67ss/rs

------------------
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 05:03 PM
Tech Team

Everyone Thanks for the input. New question same problem. I printed out the wiring diagram mentioned by David. It shows a diode after the ignition switch before connector under dash is it part of ignition switch or separate?

------------------
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 00, 05:41 PM
Tech Team

Ok guys found problem. Head light switch. I took instrument cluster out to find dioide. Its in line with brown wire that goes from under dash connector to ignition switch it was fine. Went to local dealer purchased new light switch while I had it apart. Doors work GREAT as long as the ignition switch is in the on position like Chris said. Thanks again keep up the talk great help site!!! Its off to correct the vibration problem now. Matt 67ss/rs

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode