NUTS?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 05, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I seem to have misplaced the "integral lockwasher nuts" for the connection studs on my alternator...

At this point, I've bought every size Ace carries twice, and nothing will screw on. I just spun the inner nuts off, and the threads are clean, so that's not the problem.

Does anyone know what size these are? My Ace does not seem to have anything between a #10-24 or #10-32 and a 1/4-20/. The quarter 20 slides right over the threads, and niether #10 will go on either the hot or the ground stud, which do appear to be different sizes....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 05, 04:40 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Is it maybe metric ?.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 05, 04:57 AM

Hey Jim, It's and odd something 64th size. I keep a colection of starter and alternator nuts in my box because of it. If you have a local garage you do business with I'm sure a mechanic there has one in his box he'd be willing to part with or you might go to your local parts store and see if they have one on a core they'd give you.
GL Danny

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 05, 06:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

Why don't you take the whole alternator to an alternator repair shop and let them find one for you that fits. They'd probably give you the nut for free.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 05, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmm ,at least I'm not imagining things. I'll pull it off, take it to the napa and see if they got anything that will fit. Ace sure as heck don't!

Course, if someone has some spares and wants to mail em to me, I'll make it up to you somehow.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 05, 09:56 AM
Tech Team

There is also a #12-24 and #12-32 that are very close to 1/4". Napa should carry the correct nut
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 05, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

so, I went to 2 parts stores today... the second one pulled the nuts off a new alternator and handed them to me!

The little one is perfect, it's a 3/16" 32 fyi.

The important one screws on, but it's kinda loose. Haven't put a wrench on it yet, keeping my fingers crossed... guessing it is a 12-32, but NO ONE around here has a #12 anything that's not a wood screw!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode