How to check for a spark? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 04, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
EkS

Hey guys, well how would I go about checking for a spark at the plugs with points ignition? I just got all wiring fixed because the previous owner hacked it all up. So I can now crank the motor from the ignition, but it won't start. I want to make sure I have a spark. Also, the previous owner had the cap off, so I just placed it where I think fits.

Any suggestions on what to check so the motor can finally start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 04, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
First if you have a multi meter.. check that you have 7-12v dc going to the + side of the coil when the ignition is in run. if yes next step, if not check the ign fuse on the fuse block. If thats good check for voltage at the resistor located on the firewall with the ign sw turned to run. Check both sides for power to ground. if power only on one side then the resistor is toast.

If the resistor and fuse are good ->
pull the coil wire from the distributor and put a bolt in the end. hand it aboutr 1/2" from the block. Have someone else turn over the motor unless you can see it from inside.. A spark should jump from the bolt to the block.

If that works.. reconnect the wire and pull the wire from one of the plugs, placing the bolt in it as before and hanging near the block. turn the motor over. You should see a spark jump from the bolt to the block.

If no spark from coil, try a new coil first, or check to make sure that the points aren't welded together.

IF a spark from the coil exists, but not one from the plug wire..you've got issues in your distributor. Perhaps a bad rotor or cap.

See if this helps out at all.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 04, 06:25 AM

I just usually get the wife to hold onto the spark plug wire when I am cranking the engine over. When she hits the wall, I know I have a spark.

Note: This only works on one spark plug wire.

Just kidding - Randy

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 04, 06:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

That was a good one Randy, I needed that! [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 04, 08:56 AM
Senior Tech

A timing light is a good way of checking. No flash = no spark. Another trick you can play with breaker point ignitions is to power up the ignition and twist the distributor back and forth to open and close the points. It will spark each time the points open. In fact, this is a good way to set base timing. Align the marks and turn the distributor until it sparks.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode