alternator question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 04, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

would like to know if its better to switch over to an internal regulated alt like a 10 or 12 delco SI or keep the orig. setup with the external regulator? 1969 z with a 383.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 04, 06:40 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

What problem are you trying to solve?

If it ain't broke, fix it! JMO.

-Mark.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 04, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

not really a problem , just looking to see if the upgrade was worth the time an and money

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 04, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

not really a problem , just looking to see if the upgrade was worth the time an and money
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 04, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech

Since you have a 383 then I presume originality isn't an issue. That would be the only reason not to go to an internally regulated alternator IMHO. For one thing, they put out a hellova lot more current than the old externally regulated alternators. For another, the voltage stability is much better which can prevent ignition component failures and other issues related to voltage spikes. I installed a CS130 style using the techreference on this website as a guide.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 04, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

thnx dnult! why did u pick the c130 over the 12 si?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 04, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Cool

This is why I went with the CS130 instead of the SI model: (quoted from the tech article)

"The one I used (and what I recommend) is the 105 amp version due to it's physical size being similar to the original alternator. As a result, you can use more commonly available brackets. The typical SI alternator is only good for 63 amps and that is at a higher RPM than what the CS's need. In other words, at idle, the CS is putting out, where as the SI is just spinning."

I made a complete project out of doing the conversion. I rewired the front end, replaced the horn relay, replaced the starter, replaced the battery cables, and installed Sylvania Cool Blue headlights.

The constant 14 volts of power fixed my dim headlights at idle issue. For some additional info on my project click here.

Donald
68 Camaro convertible (resto on hold)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 04, 04:06 PM
Senior Tech

Ditto. Good idle current capability, higher total output, roller bearings front and rear, and it looks good.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 04, 08:08 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Cool

Before doing anything to upgrade your charging system, check out madelectrical.com. This guy has a wealth of knowledge specifically on 67-69 Camaros, as well as other Musclecars. His website is FULL of great info and he explains everything fully. Check it out and then give him a call, tell him what your needs are and he will steer you in the right direction.

Mike

Currently Camaroless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode