windshield wiper motor does not work - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

I can not get my windshield wiper motor or spray pump to work on my 67. I replaced the motor and it worked for a while and now everything has stopped working. For a while if I played with the switch on the dash it would work but very irrational where it would come on but only make a single swipe and then stop. Then it would all of a sudden come back on but would not stop where it is supposed to. Now it has completely stopped working. The only thing I have changed is I replaced the copper fire wall grounding strap. Out side of that I have not changed anything. The switch is original for the 67. There are three connections on the wiper assembly. On the left side is a single lead and on the right is a double lead and on the lower center is a double lead. Can some one tell me where to hook up a hot lead from a jumper wire from the postive battery side to test right at the wiper moter to see if the wiper is ok? Also how is the wiper motor grounded to the fire wall? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech

Check out this link. It's for a test bench someone posted a while back. Should give you an idea of how the thing is supposed to work and test it. Good troubleshooting info.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 05:23 PM
Kevin

Yup, that was my test bench diagram, only its really for 69 wire colors. 68 and 67 are probably similar, but take a close look at the switch positions and wire colors on your car. I do not have the 67 book, so I can't say how they differ from 69s.

Luck, Kevin

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 03, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech

You know Kevin, that diagram looks real similar to my dad's 1976 Chevy truck he had. May be that GM stuck with a common design. BTW: Thanks for posting that...good stuff.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 03, 10:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

If I remember correctly, the yellow wire is the hot lead for a 67. It connects to the leftmost (driver side) connection on the pump, and from there to the wiper motor. Test the yellow wire for 12v. I suspect your problem is ground related. The copper mounting washer-strap provides ground, perhaps it wasn't solidly mated to the base of the wiper motor when you changed it. Originally a semi-tubular rivet was used.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 04:52 AM

Keep in mind that the switch just acts as a ground to the various terminals that it is connected to. In other words you can duplicate the function of the switch to test its servicability by pulling off the connector and grounding the wires one at a time. If you get good results that way, then the motor is ok. If the motor is still not working, then the motor is bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode