68 camaro floor dimmer switch? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 03, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

I am almost made it through inspection, but my floor dimmer switch for the headlights doesn't work.
I live 2 miles from the inspection station and got pulled over for no inspection, registration or plates. Funny, I haven't seen a cop around here in years [img]smile.gif[/img] He let me go, so what can I say. It is really torn up and not even bolted to the floor. If you wiggle it it will switch between high/lo, but the switch itself looks corroded. Is this really a switch that clicks up and down when you stomp it? If it is a switch it is totally frozen/corroded and would need replacing. Does anyone know a source fro the dimmer or a part number. I can't seem to find a place or if I have, I'm not sure the part is right because it doesn't show an image. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 03, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech

rphtx:
It is an actual switch. Replacement is pretty straight forward. Payattention to where each wire goes when you take the old one out. Digital pictures work great-just in case. I would think any after market Camaro restoration would have one.
D. Schribert
'68 Camaro

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 03, 09:05 AM
Tech Team

I bought one for my 67 at Autozone, I think it was about 5 bucks, been working for over a year.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 03, 10:07 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

i also bought mine at schucks (checker, kragen, whatever), it's still going strong after three years. there actually should be a plug that plugs right into the switch, at least this is how mine is. i almost bet that the floor dimmer switch in all older chevys is the exact same part. should be easy to find, real easy to replace. there are two screws that hold it to the floor, one of them may be hidden partially by the kick panel, but it is a piece o cake to r&r. actually, i'm surprised you arent having light problems, the light wiring all goes through it, and when the switch fails often times so will your headlights. good luck

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 03, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys..
I found a parts store and got the part without hassles. it's a pretty generic part and was used in several GM cars during that period. Funny you mention it, but I did have some wacky light problems. When I turn my headlights on, the temp/oil guage (aftermarket cheapos) peg all the way to the right. When the headlights are off, the guages work fine..so not sure, but most of the wiring looks like it was thrown together with electrical tape. I'm sure it could use an entire re-wire, but I'm not really sure how to go about that. Just got the car a week ago and have barely had a chance to look over it in detail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode