returning from the beach I noticed a rotten egg odor from under the hood of my ‘67. I pulled over and found the battery was hot with steam was hissing out of it, then...Kaboom,the top of the battery blew off. I disconnected the battery, thinking I could continue home on just the alternator. However, without the battery connected the ignition would break up above idle. So I re-hooked up the battery, which still worked, and disconnected the alternator. I was able to make the one hour trip home. But I had to spend a while cleaning acid from the engine compartment.
What do you guys think went wrong? Bad alternator, bad votage regulator, bad battery or bad something else?
Also why would my stock points ignition not work on alternator alone?
Ideas greatly appreciated.
67 RS Convertible, 355ci, 650cfm, 5-speed, 12-bolt, 3.90 gears. 12.7 @ 110 mph