wipers/wiring harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 00, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Red face

I recently bought a '68 Camaro conv. The previous owner told me that the windshield wipers stopped working. I started to troubleshoot therm and found that someone has been rewiring things. The lght bl (18LBL), dark bl(18DBL) and blk(18B) wires have been cut at the wiper sw. 3 black wires have been spliced and run directly through the fire wall to the wiper moter. An additional black wire is soldered directly to the wiper switch. I think this may be the 12 v supply. The yellow(18Y) is cut at the bulkhead conn. I suspect the switch is bad. Also, I would like to put this back together the way it should be. Is there a engine comp wiring harness available for just the wiper motor, heater blower, oil press sw, coil, etc available like shown on the wiring diagram? As wired now, they have bypassed the fuse. It really frustrates me to see "jury-rigging" like this. I just want to get it back the way it should be. Sorry for the long post, but I'm new at this and not really that swift with these wiring diagrams. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

H-dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 00, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

There are 3 harnesses that you would need to make things right again, the ft. end lite harness, the engine harness and the underdash harness, which looks like the one you will be needing. If it were my car, Id take the big plunge and get an all new harness for everything, that way you wont have to take the chance of haveing to watch your car burn down cause somebody butchered up the wiring in it(theres something wrong with the harness other wise why did it get done in the 1st place?)

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 00, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ragtopman,
Thanks for your input. I agree there was a problem to start with. I guess I'm just a little gunshy about tackling the dash/instrument harness. I'm not sure I'm technically up to taking the dash apart to replace the harness (along with the $355 harness cost). Getting stiffer in my old age.
Well, I'll make the decision and bite the bullet.

Thanks again,
H-dog

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 00, 05:39 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Biting the bullet is going to be harder than replacing all that wiring, cause its pretty easy to do once you drop the column and pull the inst. bezel out.

Along time ago I was in need of a 4x4 truck and saw this ole Dodge sitting in a car lot and the 1st thing I did was head for the fuse box and sure nuff, previous owner has .11 in one fuse and fuses wraped with tin foil on others. Needless to say...........

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode