power trunk lid - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 04, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Jon

I am installing a power trunk lid kit in my 69 camaro and am a little confused as to where I need to route the power wire. Do I need to connect it into to fuse box or do I need to route it straight to the battery? I have also installed a minidisc player in the dash and it also needs power, would it be best to splice the two power wires together or just run them seperate from each other. Thanks for any help Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 04, 04:26 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
run em both separate to a fuse. The trunk to a fuse thats powered at all times. Would kind of suck to have to start it up everytime you wanted in the trunk.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 04, 08:21 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I am wiring a power trunk lift on a customer's 56 Chevrolet and I ran the motor wires up to the kickpanel and then added a switching system to reverse the rotation of the motor to lift it up or down. I added quick disconnect terminals so if there is a problem with the lift the wires are easily accessible up front so a battery can be connected to those two wires if needed.
Depending on how the system is to be wired you don't want anything wired to where you can't get at it with the trunk closed. This car has the battery in the trunk so we needed to access the lift wiring from in the interior.
The car I'm working on has a limit switch added by the trunk latch and is wired into the security system to where when we press the remote control button for trunk the trunk opens and the internal limit switch on the lift stops it when it is opened all the way and then if we press the same button on the remote the trunk lid shuts and when it is fully closed the limit switch cuts power to the lift motor.
The lift motor could be wired to a convertible top switch and only be activated when the switch is operated. It's how you want it to work.
Definately, wire the power to a fused source and depending on how much current the motor needs will determine whether it needs to be at the battery or the fuse block.
Also make sure you have a good clean ground.
Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 04, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Jon

Thanks for ya'lls comments. I will wire both of them up to the fuse box. Jim I also have an alarm, which has the button for the trunk to open. The brand of alarm is a clifford. To get this button to work on the trunk what will I have to do. Jon
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 04, 08:56 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

The Clifford systems I install allow the trunk release output to be configured as either a momentary, latching, or timed output. On the 56 I'm wiring I am using it as a momentary output. The momentary output (negative) wires to a latching relay, an adjustable pin switch, 2-1A diodes and a Bosch 5 terminal relay.
The installation of the actuator in this car was not done correctly and that is why I had to add the pin switch, diodes, and Bosch relay.
The actuator this customer has is from Autoloc and it has internal limit switches built into it and of which I am only using the extended limit switch and the other parts were needed to limit the amount the actuator retracted. If the installation of the actuator would have been done correctly I would have only needed the latching relay.
The latching relay is from Aamp of America (part # PBLATCH) and sells for about $35.00. The latching relay is easy to wire if the internal limit switches are used on an actuator. One terminal of the latching relay (coil) goes to a constant fused 12V source while the other side (of the coil) goes to your momentary output on the Clifford security system. Also on the latching relay are 2 terminals which would go to the actuator motor while the reamining 4 terminals will be reduced to 2 wires with one going to ground and the other going to a constant fused 12V source.
How the latching relay works is when it is sitting in one position one wire going to the actuator motor has 12V while the other is grounded and when the latching relay is triggered it will reverse those connections to make the actuator go the opposite way.
I'll try and get some wiring info to post onto a site so you can see what is involved. It's not bad at all if you properly mount the actuator to use it's internal limit switches.
Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode